Nice little harvest

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

This was my bounty from my garden yesterday. I ended up cooking BBQ sausages, creamy mash, broccolini & to the spinach/leeks, I added mushrooms, carrots, choko, garlic & made a stir fry. Yummo & the leftovers ended up as bubble&squeak for breakfast. I’m a very contented veggie gardener at the moment 😊.

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that a wonderful feeling! Congrats @JodieDownUnder. I too love making meals from the bounty of my harvest. My dinner yesterday also came from my garden. We had yellow squash, zucchini, and purple potatoes sautéed in garlic and olive oil along with a pork shoulder that I smoked.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I agree it is so satisfying to have a garden to table meal :)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

A satisfying meal made with real food. 😋

We've been snitching bits & pieces from the garden. Some of our potatoes appear to have blight, so we've been eating a few new potatoes from those since they won't yield any more. We've had a few carrots, parsnips, fresh onion & peas too. I've been adding fresh herbs and eating cucumbers as they become available. Lots of beans are going into the freezer. My tomatoes are producing, but they are still far from ready.

We did a stir fry over the fire meal recently. It was cubed new potatoes, fresh onion, sliced fresh carrots & parsnip, basil, oregano, thyme, dill and thawed ground pork. We added chopped garlic cloves & salt too. We added rehydrated shitake mushroom pieces as well. This was all cooked at once with the herbs & garlic added near the end.

Some friends of ours did this recently & served it with diced tomato & cucumber & some lettuce (which we also did), and wrapped it up with cheese & whatever condiments suited each person (ranch was good) & then wrapped it up in soft tortilla shells. We used corn tortilla chips here. I wanted something quick & tortilla shells, as fast as they can be, weren't fast enough that day. Haha

Anyway, we enjoyed it so much, we wanted to do the same, although we did elevate it somewhat with the carrots, parsnip and mushrooms.

This may end up being one of our new favorite outdoor meals. 😋 It's simple & tasty & can be made for a few or many.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's wonderful! We had beans from my garden last night and I gave my mother in law okra for theirs today.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

My broccoli is shot and flowering now but we had several good meals of it. Purple cauliflower on the menu for tomorrow.

Lots of salads but most of that has bolted and I will be ripping it up and planting more, despite how late in the season it is. I still have another bed of greens that was planted later so we still have salads. Lots of kale for salad, too.

Just love the bounty of a meal from the garden.

I'm surprised, though, Jodie, that you have similar crops to what we are harvesting north of the equator.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just had a meal from our garden as well. Made a quick salad using some of our veggies to round out the lettuce we purchased since ours all bolted. Added fresh snow peas, cauliflower, the little bit of broccoli we managed to salvage that had not bolted yet. And a lot of great cherry tomatoes.

Looking forward to picking more peas and tomatoes tomorrow.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Great harvest to a meal add @JodieDownUnder . I have been harvesting yellow cherry tomatoes for the past ten days. The Frontenac Noir wine grapes have begun changing color from green to purple. Also, we have loads of Marigolds blooming!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder I love eating foods fresh from the garden. I have been picking the greens and if I could get the peas to come up from under the hot earth I will also have peas later to pick.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked more snow peas and cherry tomatoes to go in our supper tonight. Will be picking some cauliflower in the next couple days. I can't wait.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! That is a lovely harvest feast.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I love garden season!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder Awesome bounty from your garden, I look forward to reaping my own bounty, but meanwhile, I am enjoying bounty gifted from a couple of neighbors!!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Delicious! While it's good to "put food by" for winter, we should not neglect to enjoy some fresh-picked garden food at the height of harvest season.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

That looks amazing, @JodieDownUnder ! Yum!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got no garden as of yet. But I bought a CSA share from my friends' farm just down the street. And we've been eating fresh dinners for a few weeks now and the family can't get enough. I can't wait until my own garden is up and running. And it'll be fresh food for every meal.

Tonight I defrosted some apple chicken sausages and cooked them with butter, salt, pepper, rubbed sage, cabbage, new potatoes, and onion. Alongside that, I made succotash with corn I cut off the cob and fresh baby limas. 😋