Traditional English Mint Sauce

I was picking mint today for mint sauce and thought I'd post the recipe as I have mentioned mint sauce in other discussions. Mint sauce was a common condiment in both my husband's and my home when we were growing up. Very traditional with lamb and green peas. It has medicinal benefits as a digestive particularly with fatty foods.

Over the years, I have tried many variations on this to try replicating the flavour of the Cross & Blackwell's Mint Sauce brand that we both grew up with. I have tried many different kinds of mint in this recipe in varying proportions with different vinegars and different sweeteners. Spearmint was always the winner.

Traditional English Mint Sauce

1 cup fresh chopped spearmint (chopped, then measured, tight pack)

3/8 cup white sugar (organic cane sugar)

2 Tbsp honey

1½ cups white wine vinegar

½ cup apple cider vinegar

Heat 1 cup of the white wine vinegar to scalding and combine with sugar and honey. Pour over chopped mint in a blender and let sit for a few minutes. Add the remaining white wine vinegar. Blend for a few seconds to reduce the mint leaves to a finer chop. Pour into a canning jar and add the apple cider vinegar (use it to rinse out your blender). Let sit for at least a month before using. If using a metal lid, use plastic wrap on the jar first to prevent the vinegar from corroding the jar lid. 

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a bit of vinegar. 😲

What else do you have it with besides the lamb and green peas? Would it work well with pork too perhaps?🤔

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina

Its not that much vinegar once you see it blended up with the mint.

You could serve it with any meat, particularly fatty meats. Goose comes to mind but yes, pork, too. My husband has it on many things. Baby new potatoes are good with mint sauce.

I found a recipe for a zucchini salad that had a mint salad dressing, so just add some olive oil to the mint sauce.

You could strain the leaves out of the mint sauce and add to yogurt for a tzatziki or raita type dip or a cool topping for hot curries.

We will go through 2-3 batches of this in a year.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Would this recipe work using other types of mint? Recipe sounds interesting but I haven't found spearmint yet. Only common mint, peppermint, chocolate mint and apple mint. Hoping to get some strawberry mint come springtime.

• Torey

@vickeym You could use any mint but I found that spearmint makes the best replica of Cross & Blackwell's. Peppermint would be a good substitution.

Do you have wild mint? My plant atlas is showing it at both Anchorage and Fairbanks so it must be in between, too. I've never tried wild mint in mint sauce but its a thought if you can find a large patch.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

It is a bit sweet for my taste, usually. But, I adjust in the kitchen, too, and it quite good!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever tried mint sauce on meat, but I love everything minty lol. Would mountain mint work for this? I believe it is a rather strong mint in comparison to other varieties.

I like the idea of mint sauce and do want to try it.

I've first got to get my mints to produce a little better. I think I'm going to have to move them from where they are currently. I don't think they're very happy.😕

• Torey

@Cornelius If it is stronger, you could just use less of it.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never had Cross & Blackwell's so would have nothing to compare to.

Not sure if there is wild mint. Had not heard of it here. Will have to look into it. Thank you.

• Torey
    edited August 2022

@vickeym

Cross & Blackwell's is a British company. That's why we get it here in Canada. Although, you might find it in a Safeway store.

I think Coleman's Mint Sauce is available in the US and it would be similar.

If you have wild mint it will be very close to water and often times, you will smell it before you see it. (stepping on it)

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had mint sauce since a traumatic childhood experience I'd totally forgotten about until I read this post. I grew up in a house where dinner was put on your plate and you couldn't leave the table until you finished it all. My mother made something I didn't like and I was sitting there not eating for the longest time. She finally said if I didn't eat it she was going to make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. I loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and thought I was making out until she used the mint sauce jelly. I don't know what I'd think today but back then it was an awful combination and I haven't touched mint sauce jelly since.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder f that would taste good spread onto breads or, is it better alongside a meat accompaniment.?

• Torey

Mint jelly and mint sauce are two different products.

I can't imagine mint jelly in combination with peanut butter, but everyone's taste buds are different. If it was just mint jelly on toast, then I can see having that.

Mint sauce on the other hand, wouldn't be very good on bread.

But both jelly and sauce are great accompaniments for meats.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey for clarifying mint sauce to be used with meats :)

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

This looks great! I made a cucumber mint jelly that would be an amazing sauce as well.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@ torey Thanks, I will definitely have to try this!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey I have fond memories of visiting my grandparents (both English) when I was a young girl & eating roast lamb dinners with gravy & mint sauce. Nan also used to make a concoction of brown vinegar, sugar & mint, cold & then put sliced tomato, cucumber & onion in the bowl for a salad option. A great way to get ACV into people.

@torey I'm hoping to find enough spearmint to make the mint sauce for Christmas to go with the lamb roast we're having. 🤞

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder This sounds delicious--adding it to my Christmas dinner--Thank you!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good recipe. I've always heard of using mint jelly with fatty meat like lamb.

That sounds like an amazingly delicious and simple salad, @JodieDownUnder!

And I can always do with another salad recipe, I collect them whenever I can. And I can't wait until summer when the tomatoes and cucumbers are ripe, juicy, and plentiful to try making it. 😀

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey for the recipe, I have been looking for about a year to find Mint Sauce and no one seems to have it, only Mint Jelly. Now I can make it!

• Torey

@Lisa K Over the years I have noticed that there are times when mint sauce is unavailable. Not quite sure why. Maybe the main growers of the mint have had crop failures?

I just had a quick look online and see that Cross & Blackwell's is listed as unavailable on both the CA and US sites for Amazon. Coleman's is available in CA but at the outrageous price of $13.80 for a 100 ml jar. It doesn't seem to be available in the US but that might just be amazon.com not wanting to ship an imported product to another country.

Good luck with your sauce!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey, I can't wait to get some more mint and try the recipe! Also, that was my experience when trying to find it.