Is anyone else seeing major price jumps in the feed costs? We were paying $680 a ton for our chicken feed just a short time ago. It has been going up steadily. This week it went to $1000 for the ton. And the person we get our feed from has had poor growth and crop failure issues. No field peas which are the main protein source in our feed mix. There will be no more feed this year from him.
Moving to commercial feed will put the feed at $1400 a ton for our next load. With 200 birds, we are likely going to end our egg selling business. With the cost continuing to rise it will not be possible to sustain that many birds. Most likely will end up keeping just enough for ourselves.
Will be rethinking where our homestead is going from here at this point.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter