Show 97: Docks and Sorrels... and a lot more

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Big rice fan here. Gotta say, my favourite way of having rice is rice & gravy. Not store bought gravy. Gravy from a roast with bits of meat and cracklins in there. Sometimes I might put in a few veg but its the rice and gravy that does it for me. Funny thing is I don't really care for gravy on other things.

25 species of Rumex listed in my plant atlas for BC. At least 5 are garden species that have escaped cultivation. The most common species in my area are R. crispus, R. acetosella and R. aquaticus. I also have R. sanguineus (love this one in salads) and R. acetosa in my garden.

Yellow dock is such an important herb! Combined with dandelion and burdock roots in ACV, it makes an amazing liver tonic.

I was out yesterday gathering more dock seed. I'm going to leave a link here for Laurie's discussion that has recipes for dock seeds.

Out of 7 wood sorrels listed for BC, only one is native, Oxalis oregana. The rest are all introduced escapees. None grow in my area; all are coastal species, so I've never tasted it before. I'll be looking for it next time I am in an area where it might grow.

Barrow's grease is just an old English term for hog's lard.

Essiac tea. At the very least, the ingredients in this preparation make it a good detoxificant. Its high in antioxidants. This is a link to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center with info on Essiac including studies, so everyone can judge for themselves as to whether or not this would be an appropriate treatment for them to discuss with their practitioner. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/essiac

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Oh no doubt - rice and gravy is THE BEST! I want to try growing wild rice. It should do okay in my region but is native to areas further north. Of course, it is not a true rice, but it is fantastic. I especially like a wild rice, onion or shallot, sausage and green apple stuffing for quail and such.

I think I am going to add a dozen or so docks and sorrels to the garden next year. I had forgotten just how useful they are before doing this episode. I use them so often as wild greens that I don't think about the medicinal qualities. Sorrel is very nice - very much like spinach with lemon.

Thanks for posting the Essiac link!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet but am looking forward to it. I've learned that on our property we have several docks growing which is very exciting. 😁

I am wondering @judsoncarroll4, do you have a transcript of your podcasts? I'm wanting to make sure I am spelling the names of the herbs and plants properly.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Unfortunately, every automatic transcription program I have tried cannot understand my accent! I'll say, "Hey y'all, welcome to this week's show.." and it will type, "Aye Paul come quick and show".......

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand. I'll do my best to make sure I enunciate when I'm asking google to spell it for me.😉