Out of commission for a bit

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Torey had mentioned there may be some types hardy enough to grow here.

Wonder how much it would cost to ship some and what condition they would arrive in? Are you still in Puerto Rico?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

Well, lets try it! Prickley pear is capable of being good for quite some time.

Now cold hardiness... that is another issue. And there are other great materials to use as poulitces. But pm me your address and I'll send some just to see what happens.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hi VIckey, I got a package off to you via priority mail today. The said it should arrive by Monday - but hmmm, Puerto Rico is a tad bit on the slow side. :)

Do you have access to the "Treating Infections Without Antibiotics" video I produced a few years ago? It should really be titled "Advanced Poulticing" but that title wouldn't sell nearly as many copies. And you know, my team wants to be paid for their work....

If you don't have it, let me know and I'll get Ruth or Nikki to set you up. You should watch that.

• vickeym
    edited September 2022

@Marjory Wildcraft Thank you so much. Alaska is pretty slow as well so I will figure we might see it by the following Monday. LOL

I actually bought that video awhile back. Will have to watch it again. Though I have been lucky there has been no infection. Seems to be healing well according to the Doctor's. I am able to move it slightly now, but they are still limiting my use so I don't break the repair.

Oh, and an odd thing. When I click on your name in notifications it gives me an error message... But only the current notification. It happened on the last 3 notifications. When the next one comes in the previous one works again. IT's weird. This is the error message:

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.

Please check back in a little while.

Also, I have a question for you. @gardneto76 mentioned earlier in this thread that you had done a video about wild lettuce. Would you happen to have a link to it? Have had a hard time finding it and since I grew some this year Though it did not get very big, just leaves no stalks. Wondering if I can use just the leaves and if so how to use them.

• Marjory Wildcraft

hi Vickey,

Hmm yes I did some videos and an ebook.

Hmm, yes I did make some videos about harvesting, processing, etc. Gosh, I can't find it eaither LOL. I wonder if it is mentioned in the ebooK/ If you find the link to the video let me know and I'll get it re-titled so it is easier to find.

Noted on the tech issues...

And here is a forum discussion

• vickeym

Forgot to update...

Healing is going well, if slowly. They took stitches out on the 21st. That hurt a little. Not only were the stitches very tight but a couple seemed to have grown in a little. So when they pulled out it wasn't fun.

Therapy is slow but seems to be helping. I was able to lift the finger off the table this week. Just barely, but it was still improvement.

They still won't let me do much with that hand. No pushing, pulling, lifting or squeezing. No submerging hand in liquid, no dirty dishwater, (yes they actually said that.)

They did tell me that we have to move slowly so we don't tear the tendon repair. It is much harder to fix the second time.

So, overall they say it is healing well. Just not as fast as I would like or kinda need. No income for a month now. Good thing we are well stocked and don't need to go buy much of anything. Plus, we are off-grid so not a lot of bills.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Oh no! Sounds as if you really did a job on your hand. Glad you are doing better---but take care of that tendon!! Once I knocked a pyrex dish of of the frig and it cut across my foot, cutting a tendon---slow heal, but important for that tendon to hold or surgery again!! Take care!

• vickeym

@Marjory Wildcraft The prickly pear has finally arrived! LOL

According to the dates they write on the package our post office has had it since the 4th but we just got it today. Guess they forgot to tell us it was there. Thank you so much. Wonder if it would last until June so I can try planting some too? Does it store well? Will have to do some research. Or make some medicine now and look for something to plant later.

After checking back with @torey, Opuntia Fragilis is the type that has been found in the far northern areas. https://www.nargs.org/opuntia-fragilis

• vickeym

Well, the doctor has released me now. Not fully functional yet, but much better. I have to check back in with him in 6 weeks. That hand is much weaker after not being allowed to use it for 6 1/2 weeks. Finger and wrist still do not have full range of motion back and may not get it in the finger. There is a lot of adhesion around the scar that is interfering with being able to move fully. Therapy has ended as well. Still doing exercises and massages myself.

Let my bosses know I had been released and when did they want me to come back to work. Owner told me the schedule was already set for this week and she would talk to me the next day. I had already told her I would bring the release in the next day.

As we were getting ready to leave I get a text message from the manager, who is usually the last to know what is going on there since the owner and assistant manager are buddies. The text tells me they already hired someone to fill my slot and don't have a place for me. The owner spoke to the labor board and since my injury did not happen at work, she has no obligation to bring me back.

Beginning of winter in a very small tourist town. Off season is not the best time to find work here. I know the Lord will guide and sustain us. But it could be a meager winter. Thankfully we are pretty stocked up and the house is paid for. lol

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I'm so sorry to hear that! I will be praying. I agree that the Lord will guide and sustain you. Maybe he has something better for you than the previous job.

• vickeym

@Michelle D Thank you. I know the Lord has a plan. To be honest the people I worked with were not that great anyway. Often came home very stressed from the assistant manager's bullying and such, as well as sometimes dreading having to go back. So I think it could very well end up being a blessing.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

Glad you are improving. Sorry to hear you had such a bad employer.

Do you get unemployment benefits? Or severance pay of any kind?

Maybe there is some sort of online employment you could find for the winter?

• Marjory Wildcraft

Wow, that article said prickley pear grows near the artic circle! Wow, that is one tough plant. Being so - wet - yes I guess it is the muscinilaginous property that keeps the cells from bursting when frozen.

I heard there are some frogs that live way up there. They put a ton of sugar into their cells as it starts to get cold and the sugar is a natural anti-freeze. They don't move... but they stay alive and dormant until spring.

• Marjory Wildcraft

yeah, I am definitely famous for being a creative speller.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@vickeym I deeply believe there is a plan and you are supported although it might not look like it right now. I am sure it is for the best. Some kind of online work?

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Oh my--sorry about your job! Even if a blessing in disguise, the manager handled it poorly!

BUT, glad you are physically better!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I'm so sorry about your job situation. Praying everything works out and you continue to heal.🤗

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ow! So sorry to hear that @vickeym, hope you heal quickly!

• vickeym

Sorry I have been MIA for a bit. Started a new job. Only part time but pays $2 an hour more than I was getting (even though I had been there 7 years.)

I am now doing senior deliveries and driving for our local food bank. I deliver food to area seniors who are not able to come and pick up their food from the local food bank. There are many folks in our community and surrounding communities who rely on the food bank to supplement what they are able to grow or buy.

I volunteered at our food bank for some time before I got the last job and was working on the days they were open and I had been volunteering. Always enjoyed it, especially helping out the seniors. Now, I get to do that again and still earn a paycheck as well.

Never been a big fan of driving in the snow and ice, but I'll get used to it and on bad days my husband who is also a volunteer there can come with me and he can drive. Win, win.

@Marjory Wildcraft do you know of a way to preserve the prickly pear for future use? Or should I find other uses for it and try to get the type that might grow here for the future (gonna try that either way.)

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Thrilled beyond words to hear you've found a new job and not only does it pay more but you're doing something you enjoy, win-win.😁

• Torey

Congratulations on your new job!

I'm sure it will be much more rewarding than your last job. And much less stressful. Its a great thing to be involved in for your community.

• vickeym

Thank you @JennyT Upstate South Carolina and @torey. Yes, I am happy to be helping folks again. There is a lot to learn, Things have changed a lot and grown so much since I was there as a volunteer. Lots more people in need of help after the lockdowns and so many small local businesses could not survive and closed.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I'm so happy for you! That sounds like a great opportunity.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Oh I am so delighted to hear of your new job!!!!

Preserving prickly pear is challenging and probably not a good idea. The medicinal uses work best with fresh. Yes! if you can find the more local species and grow it.

And there are lots of great materials for poulticing. I bet comfrey grows up there and it can be dried when not in use. Also various species of plantain - especially the big leaved ones. And dried plantain is also good. You know of course you rehydrate them before applying 😀

In a serious pinch I've used oatmeal. And had a Chinese medicine man one time make a poultice out of wheat flour mixed with water - I don't think it was that effective, but it goes to show there are other options.

• vickeym

@Marjory Wildcraft I figured that the fresh was the best choice and use. We do indeed have comfrey though I will be ordering seed for some of the common variety.

Based on growth, I think what my friend gave me was the Russian version which does not spread well and I want it to since it is not only medicinal, but can also be used for fertilizer and as part of the livestock feed for many animals.

We also have plantain, but not so much of the wide leaf variety. but need to look into seeds for that as well. Though the kind we do have is very prolific.

So now I need to figure out what to do with the prickly pear pads.

• Torey

@vickeym I can harvest some plantain seed for you if you want. Our last bit of smuggling went OK.🤣

We still have a couple of days left before the snow buries it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,503 admin

@vickeym You know that I like to push limits in some ways by growing indoors the plants that I can't grow outside. My suggestion is to see if you are able to keep a pricky pear inside.

• vickeym

@torey That would be great if you would like to. We are already getting snow and it is currently 5F right now at almost 11:00 am. Thank you very much.