Hawthorn, Apple and Blueberry Syrup
I was one of the recipe testers for Wild Remedies and one of the recipes I got to do was for an apple syrup which later became the Apple and Berry Concentrate recipe in the book. I didn't want to post it here because of copyright but now Mountain Rose Herbs has published a version of it. Apparently it originally came from jim macdonald. Rosalee's version used apple juice while this one uses cider. So here is the link (under a different name):
I have made this syrup several times using local, organic apple juice. It is excellent. Can be poured over ice cream or yogurt or used on pancakes/waffles. I use an ounce or so in club soda to make a really tasty, refreshing beverage. It keeps well in the fridge but I put some in ice cube trays and used those to add to beverages.
Full of antioxidants.
You could add other herbs & spices to this for their medicinal benefits. Cinnamon is one that I will be adding to the next potful. Maybe some star anise, too.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter