Tincturing Hawthorn & Use for Thorns

From a knowledgeable First Nations member:

https://dakotaplants.wordpress.com/2022/09/13/tincturing-hawthorn/

These obviously are now ready in my general area. I'm not sure what she means by not plentiful on the prairies, because I know of many locations to find hawthorns, but maybe I'm a little closer to the Canadian Shield than she is, possibly a little further north or east. I never remember seeing anything of this sort in Saskatchewan.

I think we will have to test the awl made out of thorn idea.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Hawthorns are ready here, too. We have red ones and black ones and they are everywhere.

The genus, Crataeugus, is going through some reclassification. At one point they said that both the red and black in this area were just colour variations of the same species, but now have them listed as separate species. And the species names have changed, too. But, the good news is that they are all the same when it comes to medicinal properties. Really important plant in the field of herbal medicine.

Picking will be on my list of things to do this week. I'll be making tincture as well as drying. As long as the bears don't beat me there. :)

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Hawthorns were used here many years ago for natural fencing. They did not realize at that time they would spread like they do. They tend to be a problem for the farmers but it has so many uses I don't mind them at all.

I use the berries for tea and jams

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I'll have to get out and check the hawthorn in my area to see if it is ready yet. Using the thorn for an awl sounds like a great idea.