Show 99: Whittling, Feverfew and Ask Me Anything

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I haven't whittled for a while. Not even sure that one would call it whittling; it was more just peeling back the bark and some of the inner layers. I made a towel rail and a toilet roll holder from a couple of pieces of juniper wood (aka Eastern Red Cedar or Juniperus virginiana). Very nice pieces but very simple; nothing shaped like you have done, Judson. Not sure if my arthritic hands would let me do that now.

So I have a question you can answer for me.

I’d like to hear more about the uses for Devil’s Club (Oplopanax horridus) from your area. There are over 30 documented uses in First Nations culture in this area (Pacific Northwest). Listed properties: Astringent. Antioxidant. Antibacterial. Anti-mycobacterial. Antifungal. Antiviral. Hypoglycemic. Hypotensive. Anti-cancer. Anti-tussive. Expectorant. Diaphoretic.

I’m wondering if there are similarities or some completely different uses on the other side of the continent.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Thanks Torey. I will have to do some research on that. It really is not supposed to grow at all in my region, but I find one occasionally. I'll probably need to look into the Iroquois tradition, since it is more common there and the Iroquois have historically been closely aligned with the Catawbas.