A new adventure

During the course of my life, holidays seemed a bit out of my reach. Who has holidays when you’re running a farm or your own business? So retiring earlier than planned, conjured up a list of possibilities, a bucket list that we’re slowly ticking off. We decided to do more travel domestically at the moment, unsure of Covid restrictions, airlines & well Australia is a big place, so lots to explore.

My wife & I have just returned from a truly sensational north Western Australian trip & I’m in awe of my country’s natural wonders. We explored the Kimberley Coast, from the Mitchell Plateau in the north, down to Broome, predominately on a boat, a 30 metre cruiser. We went mud crabbing, fishing, oystering. We saw crocodiles, birds, rocks & plants that seemed from another world. Fascinating aboriginal rock art, thousands of years old & natural structures that blew our minds, Horizontal Falls, Montgomery Reef, waterfalls & some of the most ancient rocks in the world. If you ever have the desire to visit our awesome country, consider exploring the “top end”, you’ll be so pleased you did. Here are some pics to wet the appetite.

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder that sounds like a wonderful adventure. Had you been mud crabbing before? I don't know much about it but sounds like something I would enjoy. I would have to travel also to be able to have the experience. No crab around here lol

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to travel again. It means a few more changes in life but I miss the beauty and meeting new people. The trip looks like it was amazing.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

How wonderful. It looks amazing and sounds like great fun.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder Looks like an awesome adventure. Loved the pics! I need to get out of my "rut"!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@JodieDownUnder I'm glad you could get pictures posted!

It sounds like you had a fantastic time. Traveling is one of the great joys in life.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Thank you so much for sharing, @JodieDownUnder ! That sounds amazing -- I'm going to have to keep the Kimberley Coast in mind for one day! :)

• andreasmz
    andreasmz Posts: 1

Interesting trip. It certainly is on my list of places to visit. Was this a private charter type arrangement or a small cruise or, I guess even your own boat.

Some of the cruise lines have smaller ships that cover parts of the area you mention but they do not cover the sort of activities that you mention.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I really enjoy the posts of your holidays, Jodie. Especially the exotic (to us) flora.

Welcome to TGN's forum @andreasmz. When you have a minute, check out the Introductions section and let us know where you are from. I'm making assumptions but it sounds like you might be from Australia as you have checked out cruises.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@andreasmz this was a small cruiser only 12 guests, 5 crew. Lady M is the boat. I’ve done a larger cruise before & most likely that was my 1st & last. Too many people, bad manners etc. This was very special & we got to get into places that bigger boats couldn’t. Also the tides up there are huge, average 10mts. So where we were fishing or crabbing earlier in the day, is now a mud flat! All our activities depended on the tides & our skipper was amazing. So was the food!

The top pic is the Horizontal Falls, 2nd pic Montgomery Reef, 3rd interesting coastal landscape. Also welcome to the forums, where are you from?

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@JodieDownUnder what a wonderful place to visit. You live in a beautiful country and having time to explore it - what a luxury! Thank you for giving this hint for seeing the wonders of the world.

@andreasmz welcome to the forum from me as well.