The Great ShakeOut

Torey
Torey Posts: 5,623 admin
edited October 2022 in Shelter-in-Place

October 20 is International ShakeOut Day. Not every part of the globe is prone to earthquakes but if you live in a region that can experience earthquakes that could have widespread, devastating effects you should know exactly what to do if an earthquake should hit.

Here is a link to the official site. There are links to individual countries, states and provinces that take part so you can find the time of events in your area.

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

OMG, for a moment there I was thinking there would be global earthquakes... LOL

Yes, it is super good to be prepared!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Earthquake drills. Does this have to also do with Fracking?, as that drilling makes the ground shake.

• Torey

@SuperC Fracking can cause seismic or earthquake like events. With fracking, it is a man made process of injecting hydraulics (mostly water) into the earth to fracture rocks releasing oil & gas, while earthquakes are a result of planetary plates shifting under each other or moving against each other along fault lines. Fracking events aren't usually as long lasting as an earthquake nor do they have major effects. They rarely register higher than a 3 on the Richter scale.

Most of the earthquake drills being referred to in the Great ShakeOut are being held in earthquake prone regions of the planet, like the Pacific Ring of Fire. All along the west coast of North America, Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines and New Zealand. These earthquakes can register 7 or greater and have devastating effects on infrastructure and buildings. That is what the Great ShakeOut is all about. How to protect yourself during the quake and how to survive following a major quake. Its an opportunity for search & rescue teams, emergency health services, fire services, policing, etc. to practice what they might need to do after an earthquake as well.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I believe a lot of school systems also participate in this (especially public ones). One thing I learned from drills in high school is to not go under a desk in the middle of the room. Move instead to the door frame as if the structure above you collapses it will most likely be in the center of the room and not directly on the door frame. I was told by a teacher that most of the victims of earthquakes are in the middle of the room under desks.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much of the learning on how to prepare for earthquakes would also apply to other types of disasters in other regions.

-- Have enough food, medicine, and water available to ride out a period when roads are impassible, stores are closed, and few goods are coming into the area.

--Store shelf-stable canned foods that will not go bad if the power to the refrigerator and freezer fails.

--Have a backup source of power, even if it can't power the whole house.

--Provide communications, such as a radio receiver that runs on batteries, a crank, or solar power, to allow you to monitor local news stations and get updates.

--Don't assume that cellphones will work after the event.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the push for this in areas that are prone to earthquakes but I think being prepared for an earthquake even in areas where they are rare is important. We had a small earthquake here in Michigan when I was in middle school. No one had expected that to ever happen here so very few people knew what to do.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey interesting you bring this up. I was just reading about earthquakes & whale strandings. There is this controversial guy in New Zealand that is into weather forecasts, earthquake predictions, the moon, etc Ken Ring. He is predicting a large earthquake, presumably in NZ on or around the last weekend in Oct 2022.(soon) I’m not sure what to make of Mr Ring but he has predicted events with astonishing accuracy.

Apparently, whales when chasing krill, dive to very deep depths in the world oceans to feed. They can receive shocks from earthquakes so strong that they are basically knocked out, rendered unconscious, float to the surface & then the current washes them up on a beach. He was trying to explain some correlation & early warning systems for us to watch out what happens in the natural world, so we can predict possible danger to the human population.

Sorry Torey, a little off track from your original conversation but related.

• Torey

@JodieDownUnder I have read that domestic animals are sensitive to earthquakes as well. It seems that there is an increase in lost pets, 2-3 days before an earthquake strikes. I'm not sure if it makes them disoriented or if they are just looking for a safe place to hide.

@Michelle D You're right. Everyone should know what to do if an earthquake hits. Its not just the "Ring of Fire". There are other plates and fault lines that can have movement causing earthquakes. This is a map of the seismic plates for North America.

This one shows the risk of seismic activity world wide. The Middle East and all along the Himalayas looks very active.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

@torey Thanks for the reminder and link. Preparedness is great --- even though you may not live in an area prone to earthquakes, you may be visiting/vacationing in an area where it could happen.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

When I was working, we always participated in the shake out. Being on the rim of fire, I have been through several real earthquakes.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,447 admin

We do have earthquakes now and then. Very weak ones, I never really felt one, but with climate change… who knows. Unfortunately there are no local information what one should do in case of a severe earthquake. There are sirens and then we are supposed to switch on a radio or tv and someone will tell us what to do, but, better to know in advance. Thank you for sharing @torey

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

California has a lot of earthquakes, especially from Los Angeles up to San Francisco. When I worked at Philips, we would have a drill every Great Shakeout Day,

• Deb113
    Deb113 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Never had to live with earthquakes till I moved to the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. Woke us up with pictures rattling. Whew. No biggie, but after tornados in the plains and several hurricanes while in Texas, I think it is time for me to learn earthquake preparedness. Thanks for the thoughts.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

When I was in the Black Hills, I experienced an earthquake as well. There were two within half a day. Nobody had believed me, but being from the Canadian prairies and not California kind of makes one notice these things. The Californians present never batted an eye. The one was a 2.7...so yes, very small and not enough to make damage, but fun for me and enough to make the next day's small town paper.

Of note, part of Wind Cave in the southern Hills is a fault line. That was interesting to see on a tour.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if earthquakes is how the world will end...