A big kudos to the Mennonite Disaster Service. It has been on the news here lately that they are rebuilding homes for people who lost everything (and had no insurance) in some of last year's fires. 5 new homes have been built in one community.
I first found out about the organization 2 years ago when an older couple in our community lost everything in a house fire. They had no insurance because of where they lived. There was a group on scene within 24 hours to help with the clean up and then they built the couple a new home.
Amazing! Especially as there are still people who haven't been able to rebuild because of government red tape and procrastination by insurance companies.
This Week's Leaders
- 601 All Categories
- 31 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 50 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 311 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 432 Current Events & Breaking News
- 39 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.2K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.5K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 487 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 33 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 472 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 359 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.1K Personal Journals
- 97 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter