Parsnip loaf cake

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,503 admin

Yes, I will definitely be making this. Our garden blessed us with so many parsnips!

I am usually happy putting butter on my parsnips or adding them to soup, stew or stock, but I ran across this idea and so just had to find a recipe.

So, I found this recipe for a parsnip sheet cake, but didn't want to sign in for yet another account somewhere (and most likely emails). I bet this could be done as a sheet cake too after some tweaking.

Alternatively, you could most likely just use your regular carrot cake recipe...just finely grate the parsnips. It certainly depends on the size of your parsnips, but one site said 2 parsnips = 2 cups grated.

While on this site, I found two green cakes, vanilla pea & vanilla spinach cakes. I don't have any spinach this year and next to no peas, so I will try them at a later date.

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning This sounds like an interesting cake. Have been wanting to try parsnips anyway. Now I can make two recipes to try them.

There were also some other recipes on the site that were quite interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

I will definitely try this recipe. Not from our parsnip crop this year, though. We had 7 parsnips grow out of the entire bed. Not much to them when dug up. They had all developed extra roots so no big tap root. Hubby will eat them cause it is one of his favourite veg but not enough to make a cake.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@vickeym I mentioned it to my husband and he wasn't thrilled about the idea of a cake made with parsnip. 😆 I tried to reassure him by saying that the parsnip flavor is supposed to disappear. I don't think he believes me. We'll see!

The best way to actually taste parsnip is peeled & cooked and topped with salted butter. If my parnip is fresh, I don't often bother peeling it. Parsnip has a beautiful earthy flavor. I think it fits the umami flavor profile with its earthy quality, only with a bit of nuttiness added.

Some people love parsnip and others hate it. There seems to be no in between.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning thank you for posting the parsnip cake recipe. I’ve clicked on the link & gone down a rabbit hole of vegetable cake/dessert recipes & just subscribed to the site. I have no parsnips atm but I think I’m going to make the stinging nettle cake, next time I bake, as I have some ready to harvest.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@JodieDownUnder Let me know how it goes. I hadn't seen that recipe!

I have stinging nettle powder, but no more fresh outside at this point. I want to color tortillas with it to see how that might work, but keep forgetting when I make them. 🤦‍♀️

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited November 2022

I made the parsnip loaf.

I did fresh milled whole grain flour & full sugar (because it is a new recipe).

The leaf is a bit too sweet for me. I think I'll cut it in half next time like I usually do.

I could see the pieces of grated parsnip, but it didn't taste like parsnip. Maybe there was a touch more nuttiness than it would be as just whole grain flour & no parsnip. I could have probably added a bit more than 2 parsnips (I think I needed larger ones).

It was fairly dense because I used 100% whole grain flour. That said, I'd keep it that way.

Overall, a good loaf. I really don't think my husband (who only barely tolerates some parsnip in stew) will balk at this loaf.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I was quite interested so I just signed up for the site. Thanks for sharing, @LaurieLovesLearning.

Any recipe that involves adding more veggies I'm definitely going to try. Especially if it's baked goods. I have a giant baking day and try to make a months worth of breakfast for our family of 6 to stick in the freezer. I'm always on the lookout for adding more veggies to every meal. So I'm hopeful that the site will provide some. If not maybe just inspiration for me to change it up in such a way that I'll know my family will enjoy it. Well here's hoping.🤞