why are 3 of my chickens not in bed?

I got home from work tonight and 3 of my chickens were still hanging out on the branches in the run. the sun set almost 4 hours ago. They always have the same routine and just before the sun completely sets they are all in bed. I had to put them in bed with the rest of the flock. they didnt resist me putting them to bed myself but just find it very odd that they were hanging out in the run like it was the middle of the day. thoughts ? Their bed is clean and made so its not like they were going into.a dirty bed.

Answers

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

Nothing odd has happened in the run while you were gone that could have made them avoid the coop, like a predator of some type? That would be the only thing I could think of.

If that's not the case, they all just got comfy outside and didn't feel like moving in.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have had several that chose to hang out outside in spite of having a nice coop, multiple roosts and so on. Even in the winter time we sometimes have girls who refuse to go to their roosts at bedtime. Some would even fight us and try to get away when we tried to put them inside on their roosts. They just decided they wanted to stay outside. No predators, nothing unusual that we ever found.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very common with a few of my ladies. They get comfy on the roost bars just outside the coop and don't move inside when it gets dark. I simply move them inside before shutting the coop for the night.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a typical person who gets very comfortable on the couch and doesn't get around to going to bed. 🤗

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Save the frogs Could Daylight Savings have something to do with a few of your girls staying up later than usual?

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the "pecking order" had a little to do with some of my ladies roosting in odd places. Could be that's your situation too, @Save the frogs. ❤️🐓

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

There's some really good suggestions here @Save the frogs. It gives you a good list to troubleshoot from so you can find out why this is happening. It might not be anything to worry about in the end

I have to say that pecking order can cause many odd (and sometimes frustrating) behaviors.

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Three of my recent four ladies have likewise chosen to make their lives outside in the aviary instead of in the barn at night. The fourth has moved inside the barn at night but perches on the ladder instead of hopping from the ladder up to the rafters where all the other girls are. These four were raised exactly the same as the rest of the birds so I have no explanation other than individual personality quirks. Hens are all their own birds, after all! If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. If they get too cold, they'll figure out on their own what to do about it.