Ways to enclose my garden

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

I had so many problems with my garden in 20. that I hope I have come up with a solution for my garden. Man made footprints, digging in my garden, poisoned soil needing replacement, more digging in other parts of the garden. Digging through the wire mesh.

Are there ways to enclose a garden? The thought came to me while I was thinking about a solution to this problem. Why not attach a lid to the garden enclosing it at night and opening it up early in the morning (when no one is around), I get up at 5:30 am in the summer. Now I am contemplating what kind of hardware to use. It seems like this might be the best way to keep the soil safe, mice out of the garden, and adults from stepping into the garden and making holes.

Can you please help me with some ideas for the right kind of hardware or anything else that might be a solution! I grow vegetables mostly.

Comments

• dipat2005

I was thinking of making my garden about 10 inches deep in the raised bed. The raised bed doesn't have a bottom but the soil underneath is very good soil. Would that work do you think? I need to raise greens, carrots and beats, shallots, green beans and cilantro (a cool weather crop) along with peas (cold weather) and then KSS (Kale, Spinach and Swiss Chard!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I think 10" with open soil underneath sounds OK. Not sure what the lid system would look like, though.

• dipat2005

@torey I don't know just yet either but I am going to do some research after January 1st. The box is long and 14 inches wide. That is the space allowed.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 Make sure you post pictures when you decide and finish. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with! Thanks!

• dipat2005

@water2world thanks! I will post pictures.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

A question, vaguely related to your cover... What was used to poison your soil? That could have bearing on what type of cover you would need.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I've been watching your posts about your garden problems. Hopefully you will be able to have success next year. I don't have to worry about people disturbing my garden, just wildlife and sometimes cats and dogs.

• dipat2005

@vickeym I am not sure cat and dog poop for sure and I don't know what else. There is a guy who comes and visits and I suspect he is the person. I personally haven't seen who does it. I also suspect cat urine. I am going to remove all of the soil and start over again.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 assuming the animals are making the deposits, then chicken wire or hardware cloth would keep them out. If their owner is dumping stuff in there rather than taking it to a trashcan... not so much for the chicken wire but the hardware cloth maybe.

• dipat2005

@vickeym I started using chicken wire part way through the season, and it didn't help. This person has stomped my carrots back into the ground; dug holes through the chicken wire; put dog and cat feces into the garden that wasn't covered by the chicken wire; and then somehow a mouse got into my garden! I have never had such bad luck until this person came to visit or stay?