Hickory Smoked Ice Cream

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to use chips also. I love smoked flavor. It would be worth trying with other types of bark.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@Michelle D I asked if he had any other bark suggestions.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

This looks really good.

I saw your questions and answer, Laurie. I was wondering if cherry or apple would work. Those are the species of hardwood that I would be able to get my hands on easily. Hickory doesn't grow anywhere close to me. I actually have some branches of cherry (bear damage a couple of years ago) that I have been saving for a project.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well. Ahem. We didn't have hickory like we thought we did, but we have mesquite. It sure smelled good while burning. It is now 10 minutes into its 30 minute infusion time. We will see how it goes.

If it works, this cream will be whipped & put into mini cream puffs.

Hickory smoker chips will be on our last Christmas shopping list.

• Torey

Ooooh! Smoked whipped cream! Brilliant.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2022

Now that I am thinking of how to use smoke infused whipped cream, you could do a cream cheese/other right from scratch, a soured cream, fudge? What would it do to beef stroganoff? Put it as a topping on cake, pancakes, hot chocolate?

This could get interesting.

I thought of whipped cream because I was making cream puffs to put in the freezer today anyway. I doubt it will change the ability for the cream to whip.

I'll post how it tastes shortly. Hopefully we put enough in. If not, we'll add some more.

UPDATE: We added more, about the same amount, but we let it burn a little longer.

The mesquite is present. I can taste it after a bit. I'm not sure its a flavor to pursue further. It will go into the cream puffs anyway.

Hickory is on the list.

I'm concerned about the cyanide content in cherry bark. We would just have chokecherry here at this point. @torey, thoughts? What about black currant?

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

This is no worries about using cherry wood for your smoking - hasn't killed us yet ;) We also use our apple prunings as well.

The main problem is a compound that actually converts to cyanide during digestion after ingestion of leaves, buds and twigs. It concentrates at the end of branches and in the leaves and increases production when stressed or damaged - ie being grazed on. Similar to holly - it will form spiny spikey leaves if the deer damage is too great but otherwise will have nice smooth edged leaves without.

I am thinking this would work well with a rum bacon ice cream I do - gonna have to try this the next time I make it!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Sheila If you try this please report your findings. I would be very curious to know what other woods everyone tries & what their results are!

And...a rum bacon ice cream? That sounds like a recipe that you need to post in the Recipes (under Dairy) category!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin

Sounds really good!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

It does sound really good. I only like ice cream when it's hot out so I'll have to file this one til summer :)

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, we picked up some hickory tonight. The bag even has bark. We will be trying it out soon.

I think we have Nanking cherry sitting around too, so will possibly try that.

I will still put it in cream puffs first before anything else.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Another recipe to try!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds rather intriguing. I think it would be great as a less sweet ice cream. Most ice creams are way too sweet for my taste.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2022

Well, I just had a very exciting thought (at least for me). I love cheesecake. Infusing cream for cheesecake could be interesting. (See the Conifer Ice Cream recipe posted too). I wonder if the flavor might come through or bake out?

I now have another reason to get cream cheese!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning that is a great idea! If you try it please let us know how it turns out.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2022

@Michelle D I will have to see if I can find more cream cheese first! I could only find a few of the expensive brand (which is even moreso now) and none of the store brand cream cheeses.

I keep thinking...homemade eggnog or cheese made with it could be interesting too, although you can cold smoke certain cheeses after making them.

• Torey

I'm now considering birch smoked ice cream sweetened with birch syrup. This will have to wait until spring for the birch syrup.

I've had bacon and ham that were smoked with birch wood. We were told that we wouldn't like it, but I thought it was some of the best smoked meat I've ever had.

Now that I think of it, bacon bits might be a good addition to a birch smoked/sweetened ice cream. Ooooh, candied bacon bits!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning This is a new one for me! Will have to check it out--sounds most interesting!

• LaurieLovesLearning

My husband called your idea Burnt Voyageur Ice cream. That would probably sell well.