Natural Pine Soda

I will make this a part of my teaching foraging outing.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Very cool! This is an excellent winter foraging project.

I will be trying this in the near future.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a refreshing drink. May have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, @LaurieLovesLearning. 😊

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

My oldest daughter thought of me & sent the recipe my way. 😁 She encouraged me to explore the site further.

What a great daughter.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter would love to try this. Thanks for posting!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I've made pine tea and it was surprisingly tasty. I never thought about making a carbonated beverage but it's a great idea. Very interesting that it works without using a starter. I'll have to try it.

Is anyone familiar with being able to charging water to infuse vitamin D? If it's true, what a great way to supplement vitamin D which so many are low on. So interesting. I know sun charged water is a thing and there's supposedly something about using a blue bottle when charging water. It's actually called blue water. Although I don't remember what is special about blue water and haven't tested it to see if I notice anything.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@annbeck62 Could you post your question about infusing water with Vit. D in a separate discussion thread? It sounds like it should get its own space. 😉

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if you could come up with a variant of this using stevia instead of sugar? That would be healthier, and you would be able to grow more of the ingredients yourself.

• VermontCathy

@annbeck62 I have found spruce tea better-tasting than pine tea. Try a range of different conifers as the key ingredient and see what you think.

• Torey

Douglas Fir makes an excellent tea. Nice citrusy flavour.

@VermontCathy I'm not sure that stevia would work for this cause the natural yeast on the pine needles needs sugar to feed on to create the CO2.

• VermontCathy

@torey That's a good point. Stevia could replace the sweetness of the sugar, but not the fuel for the yeast. Perhaps there is a way to use natural starch for this? Or fruit juice, such as apples?

Most of us on TGN do not live where we can grow sugar cane. Sugar beets have a wider possible growing area, but processing them is a real pain and and I haven't heard of home growers doing it.

• Torey

@VermontCathy Honey might be an option to replace sugar. Its still going to have a high "sugar" content but better than commercial white sugar. And more readily accessible as a sweetener than cane or beets if you are concerned about not having sugar in an extreme situation.

• VermontCathy

@torey Great idea, honey. Maple syrup, which is readily available here in Vermont, would likely also work.

A maple-flavored pine soda actually sounds quite appealing!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@VermontCathy Sounds like a forest to me.

• Torey

Maple syrup is a great idea!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I'll have to give this recipe a try. I used to love picking the fresh young needle sprouts and munching them while hiking. They are very refreshing.