Pig Housing: Winter & Summer

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I was going through my emails & one mentioned pig housing. We generally don't do a lot in summer besides giving shade in their hog panel pen.

One has to remember that they can fit through tiny holes when young & can dig very well, both building up a mound around their pen (which will hold water in) or holes all along underneath. They can remove posts, so they need to be in deep & snug. If you wish, you can train them young to respect a hot wire (electric fence).

In winter, a large round bale of straw works extremely well to keep them warm, dry & out of the wind when needed. It also gives them plenty to do.

You don't have to raise pigs indoors. If you give them plenty of space, good food and an ample supply of water & a suitable shelter for the seasons, you will do well.

They are actually quite an easy animal to raise for food.

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been toying with the idea of raising pigs again. Thanks for sharing.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept that pigs are that clever to pull up posts, and that they can fit through small holes. I guess I’d build a cement or concrete wall at least one foot high with steel posts every three feet around the piggies yard and then secure a fence onto the posts. They do enjoy a good dig mostly to cool down.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@SuperC My parents had pigs in a barn on cement. They tore it up so fast. I dont ghink pigs & cement are a good combination. My dad was far from happy about the damage they did.

Our hog panels work. Pigs do dig down somewhat at the edges to get grass (it's always greener, you know). You just have to make sure your posts are tamped down deeply & securely. We have had some loosen some posts as they got bigger, but never take them out.

We have had adventures with escaped piglets that were small enough to slip through the holes of the panels. If their head can fit, out they zip!

Boredom can be an issue too that can lead to bad behavior, although rooting comes pretty natural to pigs. Our big one right now plays with a tire and it's troughs. It found a chain that was attached to the neighboring building & played with that too.

• SuperC

@LaurieLovesLearning , the walls of the enclosure would be cement not the floor, that wood be dirt and logs and trees. And, the walls would only be two feet tall (high) and then panels or heavy duty wire for fencing on top of the cement wall. The cement wall would prevent little piggies from escaping. And also, the short cement walls would limit the depth of diiging, as pigs usually dig swallow holes, mostly for cooling off on those scorching hot days. Or, for the hole to be filled with water for a most enjoyable bath. The pen’s floor would be Earth.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

We dug a shallow pit in the center of the pen away from the fences and filled it with water pretty much daily. Kept them well fed. Dug small holes under tree stumps in the pen and put corn or other grain as far under as possible, with a little at the top edge. They enjoyed finding the treats and digging them out, bonus- in the process the finally dug out the tree stump for us so we could remove them from that area.

For the most part if they are well fed, and you give them some tires or something they can play with, throw around and so on. They are usually pretty content to stay in.

We occasionally gave them slices of bread or rolls as a treat and they loved it. So on the rare occasions one did get out, we were able to pretty much lead them back in with some bread.

• SuperC

Can you post your piggie photos? @vickeym @LaurieLovesLearning

• LaurieLovesLearning

@SuperC Ours have grown quite a bit. I'll have to see what I can do about getting pictures.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

@SuperC This is our first two we had. One is named Ham and the other (the spotted one) in named Peppered bacon. But we just called her Bacon. LOL The one of bacon walking with me is trying to get the bread I have in a bucket in my hand. I will spare you the next picture from that when they went to Camp Kenmore.