Hypothermia

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited December 2022

Thanks for posting this @Linda Bittle. All great resources and very appropriate for right now. I think many of us are in a deep freeze at the moment.

It was -38C at my house this morning (-36.4F) with a daytime high of -30C (-22F). One location in our region that nearly always records the coldest temps was -45C yesterday morning (-49F). Two more days of it and then it is warming up quite a bit. It will be above freezing by the weekend.

For those of us who live in the north and experience weather like this every few winters or even every winter, its not that bad. But I feel for those in southwestern BC and northwestern Washington right now, who are being hit with colder than usual temps, high winds lowering the wind chill temps and now they are getting dumped on with snow that they aren't used to coping with. Several thousand people are without power.

There could easily be a lot of cases of hypothermia. Or carbon monoxide poisoning from people using inappropriate heating units to stay warm.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Yes, carbon monoxide is a big problem in this weather, too! Thanks for mentioning it.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Temperatures are swinging wildly here in New England. We had a big snowstorm with 18 inches (45 cm) of new snow and temperatures around freezing, followed by a few days with highs near freezing and lows around 10F (-12C), and now we're expecting high winds with warmer weather that could melt much of that snow and create flooding.

Moderately cold, very cold, warm...

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was 37 degrees when I got up at 8 am. 14 now at 1:45 pm. Snowing a little. Windy.

Sunday is supposed to be reasonably nice for winter.

Stay safe.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

@Linda Bittle A week later, the weather is safer at 33F yet rain is coming and the temp is about to drop to 10F, and then more snow is coming for a deeper New Year into 2023.