Turmeric Tincture - Update
I've never made a turmeric tincture before. My husband isn't very good about taking the proper dose of a tincture. He takes a squirt of whatever goes into the dropper without measuring. So he has been using capsules. However, the last time I looked in the health food store, they had increased in price dramatically. I know the price of everything has gone up but this was a bit much.
Hence the impetus to make my own. Hubby will just have to adapt and learn to take his medicine properly. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked so I have made my own combination. The ginger and black pepper are in there as catalysts to increase the bio-availability of the turmeric.
I've just made it so I won't have results for a month or so but I will post that when I do. This recipe is based on a 1:2 ratio for fresh ingredients. The alcohol percentage will work out to about 75% with the addition of the water. Alternately, just use the highest alcohol available. Increase the alcohol to 2.5 cups and omit the water.
8 oz. fresh turmeric
2 oz. fresh ginger
½ oz. whole black peppercorns
2 cups 95% alcohol
½ cup pure water
Grate turmeric & ginger or process in food processor. Place in quart jar. Add peppercorns. Cover with alcohol and water, using part of the mixture to rinse the inside of the food processor. (I used my food processor for this and it worked very well) (I also didn't bother peeling the roots, just gave them a quick wash)
Its pretty orange already and I took the pic as soon as I put it in the jar.
Has anyone else made a fresh turmeric tincture and how did it go?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter