My bees are flying. January! It is worrying.

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,446 admin

I find it worrying when my bees fly on January 4. As if I should not, worry for the bees as the temperatures are over +10C. But it is a very unusual weather. The bees react to the outside warmth, but there is still almost nothing that nature could offer them. And, hopefully, some more normal winter temperatures will come. We are in the main skiing season here in the Austrian Alps. The temperatures should be well below 0C. Well. We shall see how the year develops and how the bees react. Much too warm this time of the year.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,500 admin

@jowitt.europe Oh no! I can see how that would be concerning. I hope no harm comes to them. I hope you get more seasonal temperatures soon. I can't imagine bees in January!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the bees have returned to their hives and the weather is returning more to normal.

• jowitt.europe
    edited January 2023

@LaurieLovesLearning @vickeym thanks God the temperatures returned back to normal and the bees are inside again. I do not want to open them at this time of the year to check whether everything is all right. Normally I do not check before beginning of March.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully they regrouped up together for the rest of winter!

• vickeym

@jowitt.europe I can only imagine the "scare" Here in Alaska most folks don't overwinter them as it is difficult to keep them contained, warm and fed at -20F or below for weeks or months at a time. I really wish we were in a position to have bees as we both love honey and I use a lot of it. I am allergic to wasps and possibly bees. Would rather not find out the hard way.

At this point it is actually cheaper for me to buy from my cousin in FL than to buy from local apiarists. I can get it from my cousin for $10 a pound here is it over $20 for a pound. And there are many folks here who claim to be selling honey when they are selling what is termed as nectar by most here. (basically, honey flavored syrup.) My budget does not cover the local costs even though it would be better for us in many ways.

• jowitt.europe

@vickeym our bees are also experiencing a more difficult life in comparison to other regions. The weather can be harsh and unstable in the mountains. We do not have any monoculture agriculture. Bees get only natural nectar from wild plants in meadows and small gardens. It is predominantly forest honey. We harvest honey only once a year and very little in comparison to other regions in Austria. And our honey is much more expensive than the rest. I call it pure medicine.

my husband is sensitive to bee stings. One is ok, but if he gets a few in a row, then he swells all over, thus he stays away from bees. It is purely my pleasure and business. I love my bees 🐝

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weather we've been getting in Vermont recently was more typical of early April than early January. It sounds like you are experiencing something similar.

The cold came back last night here, and if that happens at your location, you'll probably see the bees become torpid again.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen any bees out in our area. But our weather is fluctuating a lot from a week in the 20's to more recently up into the 50's. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if the bees are flying.

• vickeym

No bees moving in our area for a few months yet. Though we did finally warm up. It's 10 degrees right now. lol

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,612 admin

Wow, yeah hadn't thought about bee's trying to live in Alaska...

• vickeym

@Marjory Wildcraft They you don't want to think about the cost of honey in Alaska. You can check out some local pricing from my area at this site.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,612 admin

$55 for a quart... a quart is a big jar. For the amount of work it is and the region it comes from, that seems very fair. Although yes, everything is getting expensive.