Happy birthday Marjory

Just wanted to shout out big happy birthday wishes to @Marjory Wildcraft for 16th January. We hope that 2023 is a cracker of a year for you & we appreciate all that you do. Happy 60th!πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰πŸŒΊ

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Awwww @JodieDownUnder Thank you!

I'm having a fantastic time.

Here is a fun story.

Several years ago I was on a business trip to Denver. I was just closing the car door and looked down the sidewalk to see this older grandma whizzing along in roller blades. She was totally ripped and looked fabulous in purple shorts, purple sports bra, and purple hair.

I looed at here and said "I want to be you when I grow up".

So for the last six months I've been training in Jiu Jitsu to get in shape. My daughter helped me dye my hair over Christmas. And Sarah helped me shop for the outfit.

I'm nowhere near as ripped as I hoped I would be - or as ripped as that older lady - but here you go.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy birthday! You look fabulous!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday! You look great!!

• Marjory Wildcraft

Thanks.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Happy birthday Marjory. You are looking buff!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

A belated Happy Birthday, Marjory.

Wish I had looked that good at 60!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy birthday to our fearless leader! May we all age gracefully!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday @Marjory Wildcraft. I'd say your efforts paid off. You look great!

• heirlooms777
    heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, dear one! I think I will do the same thing. β€”Christina

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday!!~

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft Happy (belated) birthday!

Jiu jitsu is nothing to sneeze at. It is derived out of judo and if done together, is a complete martial art that offers so much. We were involved in both before covid. I knew judo inside out, but had some issues wrapping my head around jiu jitsu. The rules are different and I felt like the two just needed to be melded together to be most effective (and a lot more exciting).

It looks like it has been a great activity for you. Training is always a work in progress and you should be proud of your accomplishments. πŸ™‚

Purple looks good on you.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy birthday @Marjory Wildcraft you look wonderful and are such an inspiration!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday!!

• Marjory Wildcraft

Awww, you are all so sweet.

A friend of mine said "welcome to the 6th floor!" Hah, she just turned 60 too.

@LaurieLovesLearning you always amaze me with what you've done in your life. Judo? Wow.

I am really loving JiuJitsu. And it is sometimes a bit overwhelming. Mostly I am training with a bunch of people who are really skilled (colored belts) so the average training is more like a practice in humiliation. πŸ˜ͺ But I keep learning and my body is getting stronger and more coordinated in ways I never knew it could.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft I am an avid supporter of judo. It is so beneficial to the mind & body & excellent for protection if you need it.

The strategy involved and instinctive following what your body tells you because it has memory from intense practice, is absolutely amazing.

I could not do judo myself for various reasons, but all our family did. I picked up an awful lot though attending all practices & very many tournaments. I can tell you the steps & if you are doing it properly. My body can follow the movements (I can feel it when I watch...I'm sure you understand what that is), but I have never trained it to do it directly.

Oh but you should watch what our kids (and my husband) can do. It's amazing! Did you know it's the only art where you can hit your opponent with a planet? πŸ˜„

Our youngest knew how to breakfall perfectly when she was 3. She fell on ice and used the breakfall properly. She did this two different times. She didn't hit her head or get hurt in any way. This was purely from absorbing by watching the older ones. She got to start training early. They allowed her in at 5. Training usually begins at 7.

I wish I had started into it when I was a teen. The kids still think I should try it anyway. The first step is learning how to fall properly with no fear (because you will not get hurt if its done right). My head totally knows how...thats important...but that needs to translate into my body knowing too. Automatic as breathing. That's what it should be.

Haha...a practice in humiliation. I can easily see that with jiu jitsu. Being humble but confident is important in either art. I see moving pretzels on the mat when I watch jiu jitsu.

It sounds like you are doing well. Keep going! If you have opportunity, try out judo too. Then you will have a complete MA.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@LaurieLovesLearning you can totally learn how to fall. It is the first thing they teach.

I recently met some black belts -super high up in the competition scene and one of them his mom trains Jiu Jitsu and she is now in her 70's I think?

I go at my pace which is slower than most of the group. They do three new things and I just practice one thing over and over. They roll for five rounds but I stop at two or three.

I'm not out to hurt myself and I want to enjoy it.

Funny to see how activated the boys get - gets their competitive selves all fired up. It's nice to be older and more relaxed.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft congratulations! What an inspiring thing to do. I am over 60, so you are a perfect example to follow. After looking at your photo I feel like resuming my morning exercises. At least πŸ˜‰.