Hydroponics

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hydroponics is another form of gardening that many people use. I am one. (But of course I do most forms of gardening, lol)

Who has done hydroponics and what works for you?

If you have not what questions do you have?

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small tabletop unit that I used to start broccoli and several different greens to replant my garden beds after everything died in the 9 degree crazy evening weather, we had a while back. It works really good for starting veggies. I take them out when they get a little bigger than the size, I buy at my local grower's outlet and replant them in dirt before I plant them outside. Sometimes it's a little difficult untangling the roots but that's been my only issue other than sometimes the tops of the sponges turn green even though I clean the unit and change the water.

I leave my plants in the pots to get used to dirt for a few days depending on when it's going to rain and then I plant them outside. So far so good.

I plan on starting tomato and pepper plants in it for the spring. I especially have a hard time starting peppers so I'm excited to try it this way.

I have lettuce growing now and used a lot of the outer leaves to make a salad today. Hoping it grows back like the ones I have outside since I left the crown.

• Monek Marie
  • kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Thanks! I have noticed that the mold doesn't bother the plants. I have tried to wipe it off with a paper towel and tried a little hydrogen peroxide before I realized the plants didn't care if it was there or not.

According to the article it might benefit my outdoor beds so maybe transplanting outside is a good idea for more than one reason.

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Im using james fry revolution garden system, that i found through the grow network in 2020. It has been going well, and im expanding it this year to flat roof. Great unused sunny space and no deer on the roof. Just making sure my wieight per square foot stays under 20lbs. I love the combo of sool and hydroponics with out the chemicals for growing in the high desert.

• Monek Marie

@AngelaOston

Sounds interesting and cures any deer issue ;) I hope to hear more about your garden adventure.

When I lived in Rochester we had use of the rooftop on the building. It was one of my favorite places.