Growing in cold weather or early spring

This will work to protect plants if you don't have a greenhouse. Of course, really cold weather it will not work as well. I can do this in my zone 5. My friend used it in zone 4.

Photo from gardenweb

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photo for a fast plant shelter. Photo from veg grow

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I put frost cover over all my young plants in early spring. It worked well last year, but this year my blankets all look a little torn up and dirty, so by next year I’ll either have to buy more or do something different again. Those are both great pictures and great ideas.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I wish I had that much space!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love these ideas. And the plastic bin I may use to help protect my little babies from the critters.

Thanks for sharing, @Monek Marie.😁

• Monek Marie

@dipat2005

How much space do you have available?

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I have 14 inches by 6 feet on the east side and 6 feet on the north side by 11 inches. Not much. But I have packed quite a bit in those small spaces in the past.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Thanks for posting this! Love the ideas and excited to try!

• Monek Marie

@dipat2005

If you go by square foot planting advice (I always alter everything - just me) you have enough to feed a family of four all summer long.

My questions - How much sun do you get in these spots and do with options have vertical growing in the back avaiable?

Also, do you have any patio or porch space or indoor growing area? There may also be a few spots a hanging basket could be placed.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Just had another hailstorm in our area last night. But I do need to get planting things so cloches and plastic bins need to be used.

• Monek Marie

@marjstratton I always have some sort of cover close by for hail or other issues. And my springs are very unreliable anymore, so some sort of cover has to be close by.

I try to get my covers and bins at sales so it's less money coming out of the pocket. You know - so that spare money can buy seeds or plants.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been thinking of trying something like this inside a greenhouse to really extend our zone 3b garden plans.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
    edited February 2023

Shameless plug: Our Season Extension Bundle is pretty awesome, and it's BOGO right now (buy TGN's Greenhouse Construction eCourse and get the super-detailed DIY Hoop House Project bundle free). (Here's the link: https://store.thegrownetwork.com/products/season-extension-bundle)

The Greenhouse course is taught by Lynn Gillespie of The Living Farm. I was lucky enough to get to take the course with her in person, and let me tell you, the woman knows her greenhouse-related stuff. Totally worth checking out if you're interested in learning more on the topic, so I thought I'd mention....

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I really like the idea of starting seedlings in the bins- such an excellent idea.

And that hay cove is absolutely genius- brilliant.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Agree, we all need more seeds and plants!

• bchandler1
    bchandler1 Posts: 2

I really like the idea of using bins - but I will need a heat mat to use them in my Massachusetts greenhouse. What kind do you advise and where should I get it. I prefer a place I can actually go to see it, but if I have to order, I will.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2023

@bchandler1 Welcome to TGN!!~ Introduce yourself when you have time.

Most garden centers will have a heat mat. Shop around for the best price ;) And they can be ordered off of Amazon for a decent price. I do have a heat matt but will have to get it out to check the name brand.

You can make your own with a low flat topped plastic container. Drill or make a hole on one side and use a string of small lightbulb Christmas lights, white. When on they give enough heat to act like a heat matt and will not melt the plastic container. I buy lights for $1 and a plastic container at goodwill or salvation army for a dollar or two

• bchandler1
    bchandler1 Posts: 2

Hi! New person introduction: I live in Massachusetts and train dogs and have a mini homestead farm with milk goats, chickens, ducks, an alpaca, a horse, and an organic vegetable garden. I have had the farm for 30 years. I'm learning a lot here!