Garden Tips February 2023

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it's almost garden time. My outdoor planting time, if I follow the last frost date, is May15. I start cool weather crops earlier and peas go in the ground March 15th.

Indoor gardening never stops.

Here is a link with some different money saving tips.

23 Insanely Clever Gardening Ideas on Low Budget (gardeningsoul.com)

Have you tried any of these?

Comments

• Monek Marie

I want to try 13.

15, 16, 18 and 19 and 23 I do.

And 22 I am going to try as soon as I find recycled plastic bins. I have PVC pipe. (I get it free anytime I see it. )

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Monek Marie thank you for the tips! When I looked at ideas and pictures a warm feeling developed - a wish to start gardening.

Some ideas I already use: the one - covering soil with newspapers I already use. Only I use cardboard instead of newspapers. It works perfectly. I also use old bed linen. It is even better as it lasts longer before it disintegrates. Egg shells go into compost, water after boiling goes for watering the plants.

but there are so many other ideas about growing cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes…

I look at the winter landscape, but my thoughts are already in my spring garden.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the ideas, the only exception is the newspaper which did not work for me in fact it seemed to actually fertilize the weeds. 😂

• Monek Marie

Newspaper did work for me. How many layers did you use? I use about 6. In really tough areas I use cardboard.

It's funny how one thing will work for one person and not another.

@Lisa K If those weeds were edible it might be a plus ;)

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I used only two layers which is probably the problem and unfortunately the area that I put the newspaper was the very front of so between cars and animals relieving themselves, the weeds are not edible.

Now in the backyard ... a whole different story. 😀

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely use egg shells for fertilizer and pest control. I also use coffee ground for that. I love the 2 about using pallets for growing or building a garden bench. I might try that.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I kept scrolling down this article and I am blown away by all of the awesome ideas. I finally moved to our land instead of the city- and I want to do all of these at once!!

The mushrooms in the laundry basket is the most genius thing I have ever seen possibly. I have oyster spores from a spore print i made when identifying my harvest one year and i think I'll cut it up in little squares and attempt to grow in substrate in a laundry basket. That is awesome!

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I tried #10 - the potato growing method and it did not work for me at all, but potatoes struggle here no matter what I do. I use the nursery trays #13 all the time to keep the birds, including my chickens, out of my new sprouts. My yard looks pretty funny with them laying over all the garden begs and grow bags. I also tried using chicken feed bags as grow bags and put the tomato cages into them. It worked pretty good for a season or two, but the bags fall apart and require constant monitoring of water. They also make a mess when trying to empty it as the bag completely fell apart. Maybe if I had not used it as long as I did. I went 2 full years growing in 1 just to see if I could do it. We have several wicking beds set up and have used them for years. Those are what I originally learned to grown in here, because I could move them around according to the amount of sun plants were getting. My newest wicking beds are very heavy and will not be moved as they are metal troughs. I just tested a bunch of old seeds using paper towels in ziplock bags. Needless to say I need to order more seeds now lol.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just ran across an unused old mini photo book that I'm going to put my seeds in. I have them all stuffed in a gallon ziplock bag right now. I cannot wait to plant seeds and get going. It was a nice warm day here today and my daffodils have begun blooming so all signs are saying soon!!

The muffin tin idea is a good one too. I hope I remember that later on!