Show 119: Lemon Balm and Potato Soup

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Potato soup. YUM! I’m bad and use heavy cream when making my potato soup. Glad you put leeks in it. Not enough people do. A couple of other toppings for potato soup. A drizzle of chive oil on top before serving. A sprinkle of dried kale chips. Both are green and give a bit of delicious contrast.

Lemon Balm is a lovely nervine. Its in quite a few formulae that I have come across for nervous anxiety. Uplifting and calming.

Another property of lemon balm is its antiviral activity; in particular, antiviral against the Herpes family of virus’, as well as cold sores. Lemon balm is used to treat the pain and itch of chickenpox and often recommended for the treatment of the post-neuralgic pain that follows shingles. There are even a few commercial products with lemon balm. On that thread, I recently found reference to propolis being used for cold sores. Haven't had the chance to suggest it to anyone yet.

I thought I’d share a pic of lemon balm from my garden. The other plant you can see (that has self seeded throughout my garden) is borage. You can see the blue flowers opening on some of them. There are peas along the back fence, too.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

You can hear int he show how much I associate lemon balm with borage - they just seem to go together! THis year, when they are in season, I want to try making the "claret cup" mixture - wine, brandy, fizzy mineral water, lemon balm, borage, sliced citrus and honey. I am not sure about the cucumber though. I think the borage would have enough cucumber-type flavor. I could see adding a little clove or something, so it tastes more like sweet vermouth. Sweet vermouth is very good over ice on a hot day, with a slice of lemon.