Importance of Recipes!!

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

It would seem to me that Recipes are very important to have in our emergency supplies. It seems important to have recipes that don't require boxed mixes of any kind. At some point we won't be able to get recipes for our favorite things; cakes, puddings, biscuits, cookies, pita bread, tortillas and the list goes on.

Recipes can be gathered now and kept in a special place for later or taped on the inside of cupboard doors (which I do).

Yes, you do need to keep a supply of flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and whatever you like to use for flavoring! It is important to practice baking from these recipes too.

Does anyone have any favorite recipes they would like to share in this chat?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Besides a possible shortage of mixes, they are not as healthy as homemade mixes. My health has suffered a lot this year and I know it's because I slipped into the ease of premade store mixes. I am doing my best to get them all out of my house.

Let me dig out my grandmothers one cookbook. It's all homemade recipes.

Some say they don't have time to make things from scratch but it you spend a half a day making up mixes it's not so bad and maybe have a friends or neighbor creation day where you make and share mixes.

Great post!~

• Monek Marie

A journal that you made would provide recipes and be a historical item that could be passed down.

I lost about 100 of my grandmothers handwritten recipes when our basement flooded. I thought they would be safe in a file cabinet, but they collected a mold from dampness even when they did not get wet.

One item people could make that I never thought of until I read it is instant mashed potatoes. I won't use the boxed mixes due to chemicals, but I read if you cook the potatoes, let them set them cut them up and grind them you will get flakes. I'll see if I can find that information.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you guys! I cook everything from scratch and have lots of recipes. I started doing that several years ago when I learned how many chemicals are in all of the mixes and processed foods. It took A LOT of getting used to but I'm glad I did it. All of our aches and pains went away!

One year as a Christmas gift my youngest daughter organized them all and put them in a notebook for me!

I've recently bought several old cookbooks and even back in the 50s and 60s they were using creamed soups and some mixes. But I doubt back then they had all the chemicals in them they do today.

• dipat2005

@Monek Marie I didn't know that about potatoes. I picked up some red potatoes (organic) not realizing they were so small. I too have most of the boxed mixes out of house. I don't use soups to make casseroles but fresh ingredients. Besides the chemicals there is a lot of salt too.

@kbmbillups1 I totally agree with you.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can never have too many recipes. For one thing, in an emergency with limited ingredients available, you want to be able to generate a variety of dishes.

Cookbooks like How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman are extremely useful baselines, giving not just a wide range of recipes, but extensive notes on how to modify them slightly to get more options in the diet.

Ethnic cookbooks and recipes often give inexpensive options, especially if they are based on peasant food rather than haute cuisine.

When I go to the booksales at my local library, I frequently come home with another cookbook or two.

Then I have a box of handwritten recipes from many sources. The core came from my mother, but some were copied from friends or other cookbooks.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermontCathy I agree about vegetarian recipes. I took a plant based cooking class several years ago. I learned a lot and cook a lot of vegetable dishes with a small amount of meat. Now it's come in handy because I can make meat last a couple meals since everything's so expensive.

• heirlooms777
    heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I wonder if you could make that only instant mashed potatoes, but instant mashed sweet potatoes, instant mashed any root vegetable? Anyone know? What are the recipes? -Christina

• Monek Marie

I would think sweet potatoes would work too and I would like that much better. They are healthier for you. I'm going to look that up.

Almost any veggie can be ground up into a powder. I plan to use more that way next year.

• Monek Marie

How to Make Dehydrated Potato Flakes from Scratch (thehomesteadinghippy.com)

@heirlooms777 This is for regular potatoes, but I bet it would work for sweet potatoes.

• dipat2005

@Monek Marie thank you for the video. I learned a lot from the video-what to do and what not to do. I agree with you that sweet potatoes would work well too.

I once tried to dehydrate potatoes but that didn't work well at all. They didn't get blanched and of course they turned very dark!

• Monek Marie

@dipat2005 I tried dehydrating potatoes once too and it was a nightmare. It was one of my first attempts and dehydrating - almost my last ;)

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

Recipes are useful, but making stuff up out of the actual ingredients i have is so much more fun!

This Week's Leaders