Have you ever seen a year old kohlrabi plant?
I experimented with indoor vegetable gardening last spring with poor success. I did not kill of the survivors and most are small yet still alive.
I now realize that two of my kohlrabi plants are over a year old -- the stems have thickened some but no bulb even now. The seedlings were ready before I was, so I planted them in readily available pots that had existing cactus soil. They have been sitting in front of an east facing window.
I guess they're now part of my houseplant family.
@shllnzl They are beautiful as is, but have you tried giving them some nutrients? Perhaps watering them with some type of kelp like fertilizer, and/or side dressing with some vegetable compost, or any compost for that matter? What have you tried so far? —Christina
I have added nutrients and more water. The season change is giving them more sun. One plant is developing the bulb, the other is just getting bigger. These two are still in the house because I want to reuse the soil indoors. All other crops that survived a year are now outside to see what they will do before the hot weather gets to be too much.
I have such a hard time giving up on a plant that still shows life...
@shllnzl Just brainstorming here, but have you considered transplanting them outside? This way you can keep the rest of the dirt inside. Or if you wanted perhaps you could wash the pots and put in new dirt?
Foliar feeding can also help. Put a liquid seaweed mixture in a spray bottle and spray a fine mist directly on the leaves.1 · Share on Twitter
The first two are still part of an experiment that I won't repeat. Your ideas are sound though.
This Week's Leaders
- 600 All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 53 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 331 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 449 Current Events & Breaking News
- 43 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.6K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 501 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 35 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 500 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 377 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 101 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter