Trellising plants - Tomatoes

Blight is a huge growing issue in my area and tomatoes that are grown vertically or in containers have less issues. From what I have read the blight virus settles in the soil so when it rains any dirt or wet soil hits the plant and blight can begin to set in. Trellising the plant, keeping the lower branches trimmed off and a mulch under the plant will help.

This site had a very different trellis. staking method they used. I think I will try it this year.

The Best Way To Stake Tomato Plants Ever - A New Twist On DIY Stakes! (oldworldgardenfarms.com)

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three other reasons I like growing tomatoes upright are cleaner tomatoes, less insects and health issues and it takes less space and easier to weed.

It also gives me space under the plant to grow a few more crops. Beans are great companion crops for tomatoes and lettuce will be shaded in the tomato plant is full giving it more shade when the season warms up.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good idea!!! I wish I had a way to get a cattle panel home. Only way I could do it is if I could cut them down to size in the parking lot. Lol

A couple years ago I staked my tomato plants and then as they were growing put stakes a few feet away even with the plants and made an overhead trellis like thing out of bamboo stakes. My tomatoes grew up and over it and were looking for more to grow on.

• Monek Marie

I have used stakes with good results for years.

Your trellis sounds interesting.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Thanks for this information. I have only grown tomatoes in the ground! I will have to try some these other ways.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Lol! My trellis was a work of creativity made with thin garden twine and bamboo stakes. As the saying goes necessity is the mother of invention. 😁

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I (well, my husband too) prefer(s) to keep the panels whole and bowed so they have more available uses as a full panel. I tried tomatoes (and cucumbers) on ours last year. It was pretty good, but will be better this year if we plant earlier and water more.

I will put a type of long pole bean on them this year too.

I can see the link idea being really good for a gardener that doesn't suddenly need these panels in winter for livestock.

• Monek Marie

I think the panel work good for people who clear their gardens each year and probably those in areas with stricter garden and yard regulations. I would use the panel sections over tomato cages. I have never had luck with those.