Trellising - Summer squash

Trellising summer squash will save you room and is great for the urban gardener and renter.

It also helps me control insects, especially the borers, and spot those small Zucchini that seem to grow one foot in an evening.

Here's a link on how to prune them if you stake or trellis them.

How to Prune & Stake Zucchini - Huge Harvests & No Powdery Mildew (ruralsprout.com)

I also trellis larger squash.

Comments

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie You have made me hungry for summer squash! Thanks for the link.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I heard the exact opposite about pruning leaves (& tendrils) from my grandpa who grew giant pumpkin, texas watermelon, lots of cantaloupe, honeydew, and buttercup squash, so this leaves me quite confused. He chopped off the vine after each set pumpkin.

Which is actually better, pruning leaves before or after the fruit?

"Only prune leaves that are growing below the fruit. The fruit relies on the leaves above it for energy and nutrients to grow. (Oops.) By trimming leaves below the current set of fruit, you allow the plant to concentrate energy into squash production rather than maintaining those leaves."

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people chop leaves off after a pumpkin sets to get the best growth for that pumpkin. For gourds I only allow 3 or 4 gourds per plant for the bigger varieties, except bushel gourds, no more than two.

I trim leaves off about 9 inches to be able to see any zucchini fruit and to keep an eye on stem. As the leaves get bigger I will take them off up to the current fruit setting.