DIY no PVC worm tower
I was reading a thread elsewhere about DIY worm towers put into gardens. One concern was lack of surface area, because composting worms only stay within the top 2". The soil they are in/surrounding the structure also should be lighter & not compacted. Third, and I feel this is most important, cut or drilled pvc pipe may leach carcinogens into the soil.
One solution to problem #2 (and depending on the size, because they can be quite wide, problem #1) was to use sonotubes. Someone said they were made of paper & adhesives, but couldn't find our what the adhesives were that were used.
I thought I post this here to see where this idea of using sonotubes will take us.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 515 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter