No mow alternatives to lawns

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good ideas! We recently replanted shrubs because the old ones died. I filled the bed with a lot of different bulbs, so they come up at various times throughout the spring and summer. But the boarder is liriope. It had been growing for years before we took out the old shrubs. I dug up some from my backyard and replanted in that bed to try to help it fill in the entire border.

I'd love to have a non grass yard and I know my husband would love to stop cutting grass but like you said our HOA wouldn't allow it. Some day though...

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a previous home where I lived outside of town, I kept most of my acre property as grass growing under trees, but in the small area behind the house I created paths and planted everything between the paths with wildflower mix. Not just small wildflowers, but tall ones like hollyhock and foxglove too.

I moved away only a year or so after doing this, and I never found out whether the next owner encouraged the wildflowers, or mowed them all down and reverted to grass.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Interesting article. I found some new ideas --- Thank you!

• heirlooms777
    heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I love the ideas, perhaps painting different edible plants. Any recommendations? I see they include the following in the article:

Creeping thyme (Thymus) such as:

‘Bressingham’ creeping thyme (Thymus doerfleri ‘Bressingham’) 

White creeping thyme (Thymus serphyllum ‘Albus’ 

Red flowering creeping thyme (Thymus praecox ‘Coccineus’) 

Pink creeping thyme (Thymus praecox ‘Pink chintz’)  

It states, “

You can “paint” your own lawn canvas using different varieties of thyme. You don’t have to choose between these varieties though. You can create a beautiful mosaic lawn by combining the colors and textures of several types of creeping thymes. 

For an excellent guide on how to get a creeping thyme lawn started, have a look at the guide on Rural Sprout. 

It also mentions edible Silver ponyfoot (Dichondra argentea). The article states that “Silver ponyfoot has a rather unfortunate name. It is more heart-shaped than anything else, and its spreading habit resembles more that of strawberries (sending runners that root at nodes).  

In addition to the fact that it’s edible (though on the bitter side), Dichondra is also drought tolerant and can be planted in the shade. It’s relatively low-growing, although the more mature foliage can reach six inches high. You can walk on silver ponyfoot without any fear of wearing it down and it’s highly resistant to pests and diseases.”   

What other crops do you recommend?

—Christina

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

There is a type of speedwell or Veronica that is a creeper and has beautiful blue flowers. It can be walked on without damaging it, so its a good one for between stepping stones on pathways.

If you are looking for edible no-mow solutions, there are a few other herbs.

Creeping oregano or marjoram. Creeping mint or Corsican mint. Purslane is great for adding to salads and depending on the variety, it is a low grower. Small purple violets (sand violets) grow all over my lawn in early spring, both edible and medicinal. If you have a shady spot, chickweed will do very well, again, both edible and medicinal. Onion grass (although, I understand this can be invasive, but how wonderful to have an invasive onion).

Uva ursi or bear berry or kinnickinnik depending on where you are from, is often used as a ground cover for banks where it will help to retain the soil. Great medicinal plant.

Ground Ivy or Glechoma is a medicinal plant that grow quite low but it can be invasive.

And let's not forget the one that the HOAs love to hate, the Dandelion. Edible and medicinal.