Soup on the Rocks, Anyone?

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

"That's a terrible thing to do with Vodka."

Here's another entry into my odd food and drink collection.

Remembering When Cocktails Were Just Soup - Gastro Obscura (atlasobscura.com)

Tagged:

Comments

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

@Linda Bittle Oh my! I just read the link you posted. I think I will continue to use my cans of Campbell’s soup as I previously have----not on the rocks! LOL Interesting article, thanks for posting.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, Don't think I want to turn my soups into cocktails. Though I can see someone touting a chicken noodle hot toddy next winter. lol

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,462 admin

I have never had a bullshot... thought about it, but no. I love a good bloody mary, though! You know how some folks make them with clam juice? On the NC Outer Banks, they toss in a raw oyster that kind of cooks in the alcohol and acidic juices. It is very good!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

@judsoncarroll4 Bloody Caesars have become more popular in Canada than bloody Marys. Clamato juice instead of tomato and different garnishes. Clamato juice is so popular here that it is put into beer instead of tomato juice and they even have a Budweiser version in a can so you don't even have to mix your clamato juice and beer.

Clamato juice is slightly less acidic than straight tomato juice but its a terrible idea if you suffer from gout. The beer is bad enough but to add a seafood item in there will just exacerbate the situation.

I've seen bull shots on menus here in the occasional restaurant, but in all the year's I worked in liquor sales in restaurants and bars, I've never had a request for one.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,462 admin

Clam juice in beer is really popular among the Mexican folks around here. I haven't tried it, so I won't knock it. But, I think I would rather have some in a dry, dirty martini. I often use dry vermouth in seafood dishes, so I could see that coming together well.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so sounds crazy, but I know some people that would probably do soup on the rocks and enjoy it. I'm really surprised at the story. I never would have thought of that.