Planting by the moon

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never heard of this.

I wonder if the caterpillars that seem to appear overnight eating my cucumbers use moon light.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

My grandfather was an excellent gardener (both vegetables and flowers) and he always planted by the moon. Above ground crops (tomatoes, corn, peas, beans, squash, leafy greens, etc.) in the waxing moon and root crops (onions, garlic, carrots, turnips, potatoes, beets, parsnips, etc.) in the waning moon.

But in my short growing season, if I were to wait for the right moon phase, I might miss the optimal planting time altogether.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of planting by the moon phases but planting my moonlight is not a good idea in my area due to all of the Brown Widows we have, nighttime is when they come out.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the moon if weather permits. I do not plant at night. I plant in evening of the full moon.

I th8inik it does help but weather is my main planting guide.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I took a gardening class a while ago where they taught this. I have to admit I haven't kept up with it but my garden did great that year.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always said I was gonna try this and never did. Maybe I'll read up on it again and try it this year.