Garden-bed electric fence design for iguanas

So I have some wood frame garden beds that my local iguanas have found quite popular. Does anyone have any suggestions for electric fence design and/or brand to use? Here is what I was thinking:

• would be great if it was solar/battery powered because my power goes out a lot
  • fence is 6" high with electric/live shocking wire on top (or just wire on top where wood frame already is 6"+ off ground)
  • should fence extend 6" deep with live wire there? to prevent burrowing iguanas

Seem to be some options online but happy to hear from people who have used a particular brand/model. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iguanas? Wow. It never occurred to me that they could be serious garden pests in some parts of the world.

In general, fences that extend not just down to the surface, but several inches below, are best for keeping out digging creatures. My chicken-wire fence supported on wooden columns goes down several inches and animals still occasionally burrow under it. When that happens, I block the hole with a brick or large rock and then refill soil around it.

I don't think you really need to use electric fences. But you do need strong fences that the iguanas cannot get through, over, or under.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@user22 WOW, would have never thought of iguanas! What area are you in and what size iguanas? You have my imagination rolling!!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Likewise, my first reaction was "Iguanas!" Not a necessary concern in my part of the world.

• user22
    user22 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I am in Puerto Rico. Iguanas are excellent climbers and also burrowers.... I have my electric fence up and running. The only issue is I need to plant some new garden plants because they ate everything and now there is no reason for any iguanas to martyr themselves to get back into the garden. I need to setup bait. You could probably use a non-electric fence but it would need to be smooth and tall; which is cost prohibitive and more unsightly.

This Week's Leaders