Coffee (filtering) Question

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a bit odd but we use a camp style coffee pot and can't seem to find one that has both a good fitting lid on the pot and a basket that the lid fits well enough not to boil the grounds out of the top of the basket.

The basket seem to be very short (shallow) now days with lids that just lightly sits on the top letting the grounds boil out. And the other problem is the actual lid of the pot being the same way, just sitting barely on the top allowing the coffee to run out while it perks.

This is the one we are using and the pot lid fits well but the basket is shallow and boils over daily.

Is there a way to make a cloth filter maybe with a drawstring closure to fit this style? Or has anyone found a better coffee pot of this style? We are off grid so nothing electric.

Answers

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,624 admin

I haven't made coffee for a long time but I still have an old glass Melitta pot with a filter that sits on top. I have a brass mesh liner that goes inside the filter so I wouldn't use paper liners. So, its very easy to use without power; just a stove-top kettle required. I have a small wire star shaped trivet that goes on my wood stove to protect the glass from metal contact.

However, if you wanted to continue to use this pot, I might see about getting a piece of muslin cloth, make a drawstring bag and use that as you have suggested, although, it would still need a hole cut in it for the stem of the basket to fit through. Maybe just the drawstring bag and forget the basket part altogether?

When I have been out in the bush, I dispensed with the basket altogether and would just make old-fashioned boiled cowboy coffee. If you hit it with a small amount of cold water as soon as you take it off the boil, the grounds will settle enough to pour off coffee without grounds. But as soon as you put it back on the heat, the grounds will lift up into the liquid again.

• vickeym

Thank you @Torey. Unfortunately, hubby doesn't care for drip style coffee, he likes his perked. I was thinking maybe a tube style bag with drawstring that I can coil inside the filter.

Just found out they actually make a fold over style filter for this. lol And there is even a cloth version. Might change my plan from a tube style to this and try it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,506 admin

I have a coffee sock. It was at a deep discount, so I got a few. However, at the time, I was still unable to drink coffee. It it made my stomach extremely uncomfortable...and that's putting it mildly.

By the time I experimented & discovered that I could drink coffee again 10 or so years later, I went to a stainless steel drip style. I won't drink enough to require a pot full. I don't know why I had that awful experience in the past, so I make sure coffee remains a treat, and I am very grateful for every cup I can now enjoy.

I was also going to suggest using the drip style filter for taking out the grounds as you pour. The style I have is fantastic...the best I've used. I have used it for finely ground nettles with great filtering results. My daughters each have one now as well.

If you want a picture for consideration, I can do that for you.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Coffee can definitely cause acid reflux in some people. The natural acidity of the coffee doesn't agree with everyone.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,506 admin

@VermontCathy It wasn't acid reflux. I'm familiar with that from pregnancy.

I only had this problem with coffee after not drinking it for a month & drinking water instead. I drank a lot of water during that time because I wanted to lose weight for my wedding. My solution was to only drink water in lieu of any other liquids.

When I then went to have a coffee again afterward, it struck. It felt like my abdominal area was filled with a massive boulder. I loved coffee but I never drank it in excess, so that hadn't caused anything. I had to quit drinking it because the feeling was unbearable and I would have rather died than keep feeling that. Even a tiny amount (say, 2 tablespoons) was enough to trigger it. People suggested decaf...it made no difference. When I was brave enough to finally start testing coffee again, I started very slowly, expecting it all to return.

It made absolutely no sense, but that was my experience.

I'm glad that I can enjoy it again...even up to two cups with no problem.

• vickeym

Right now I'm using regular coffee filters inside the metal basket. Seems to be working.

Found a video on YouTube that showed folding the filter multiple time till there was a small point. cut a tiny tip off the point and you will have a small round hole in the center of the filter to fit over the center stem of the filter basket.

Add you grounds then fold the filter in all the way around to cover them. Put the lid to the basket on. And perk as normal.

Worked great.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

I am having the same issue with my camp coffee pot. I really like a percolator but it boils over and also gets grinds in the pot. Which i pour through a sieve so that's not as big of a deal- it's the spilling over all down into my stove and wasting that I dislike.

And i recently bought that same percolator you have pictured and they sent it with a much too small aluminum basket- no thanks- i sent it back.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym You had stated, “Make a cloth filter maybe with a drawstring closure to fit this style.” And that could be one of the best solutions that you’re looking for the answer so coffee grounds and coffee stop boiling over!

• vickeym

@nicksamanda11 To stop the coffee from boiling out of the pot I find I have to stop the fill line about a half in below where the basket sits. Otherwise we get boil overs every day.

So far what I have been doing until I can get to the fabric store (closest is over an hour away and my vehicle is broken down) I have some of the paper filters. I fold the paper filter in half, multiple times until there is only a tiny point . Use scissors to snip off the very tip, just a very small bit. When I open it back up the center had a small round hole which fits over the basket post. I put the coffee grounds in then fold the excess over the grounds. Not doing too bad with the grounds overflowing now. Thinking about stopping at the hardware store next week (in work truck) and seeing if they have stainless steel washers and get a couple big ones that will fit over center post. It should help hold filter paper down over grounds as the water goes into it.