Intentional communities

heirlooms777
heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Hi. Does anyone have experience living in or interrupt in an intentional community? There are such different communities, each as different as a family. They all have some type of focus, many are farm based, some with people living close to each other on purpose, some farming together, some based on religion, or some topic like health, some are family members (my one friend has about 200 people on their mountain top, all related to his father). I ask because I am looking for a farm based one, preferably in the States or maybe Costa Rica or Greece). I currently live closer to Chicago in Michigan. —Christina

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I have never lived in an intentional community but I know of at least 2 in my area.

One was set up as a commune. Part of the original group is still there but over the years many people have come and gone. They rent a piece of property (I think about 20 acres) and farm it collectively.

The other was set up as individual owners on a larger piece of property (180+ acres). There were 6 original couples/families. Kind of like a strata but it had its own land ownership designation. It was much more difficult to extract oneself from the arrangement. It has recently been sold as one large parcel with all the previous owners leaving.

So anyone that is thinking about this really needs to look into the legalities of co-ownership or communal rent for the jurisdiction they will be living in, as well as how easy it would be to leave if you discovered that you weren't compatible with the group.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something that several friends have approached my husband and I about. The legal side makes it a hard concept to consider. I would love the idea of having my own community of people I can trust with us all working together for each others benefit. But so many things could go wrong. Disagreements happen.

• heirlooms777

@Torey @Michelle D

There are different communities all around the world. They are all different types of levels. I am NOT talking about communes, although they are good for some. This amazing community of The Grow Network is w community. I think we are technically in a community just where we live now, be it with a Church in common, a library, work, an activity. I am talking more of people living closer together on purpose. In Greece traditionally families live together, some on the same house with different generations, I have friends in Indianapolis who all bought homes on the same blocks in a rough area, and made it a good area. When you move, you hire a realtor (perhaps if they have one, the community realtor, who knows like-mind people) and you sell you home for a fair price. I like the idea of apartments if possible. The sky is the limit!

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

@heirlooms777 Hi. There is lots of information about this subject on https://ic.org

• heirlooms777

Thank you. I am involved wit IC, its just a little overwhelming.

• heirlooms777

Plus the people I hang out with are very private and not involved.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flowerpower * thanks for sharing about IC. It looks interesting.