Harvesting the big pig (graphic, pictures)
We butchered our large pig yesterday. It was way overdue, but somehow, he was big & still reasonably lean. There is plenty enough fat, but not copious amounts. He is perfect!
We expect 150 lb total meat from him. We finish up today with cutting up the last front quarter, and making our family recipes for Mennonite farmer sausage & liberwurst (liverwurst). We also want to put some liver away for paté.
While cutting the pig up, we saw the spleen. We've never tried it before. It's been dog food. This time, we'll eat it. We put the heart in the freezer. We've never eaten pork heart. We had kidney this morning, also for the first time.
We will be making bacon for the first time. His bacon looks good. He had huge hams, but we decided to try that on a future pig. We need more fridge space for preparing that.
I'm looking forward to eating pig cheeks again. 😋
Pictures to follow later today.
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter