Infected Cat Bite
My usually loving cat bit me the other day. We'd been away so maybe she was mad at us. However, this is what I did wrong and then what I did to correct it. Not saying that this will work for other bites or other infections. Just wanted to post what I have done in case it might help others.
First I just wiped away the blood spots and then put on some salve. Wrong! And I know better!
I should have cleaned the wounds with an antiseptic and then let it bleed out until it stopped on its own to clean out any nasties.
So it became infected. Almost right away. Within 4 hours the one tooth mark had sealed over and my hand was hot, very red and very swollen.
First thing, a pot of hot water & Epsom salts for a soak to help open the wound. Then some Oregon Grape root tincture to clean it. Next a poultice of powdered Epsom salts mixed with glycerin (this is a very old poultice that any good pharmacist at a compounding pharmacy should know how to make). By the next morning when I took the poultice off, it was oozing pus (good sign). I squeezed at it a bit to get some of it out, more soaking, more OG tincture and repeated poultices. I've also been taking a combination tincture of Echinacea & Goldenseal internally; 1:1, 1 ml, 3x daily. I considered a homeopathic remedy but it wasn't necessary. I had one chosen if needed.
This morning (now two days after the bite), the heat and redness are greatly reduced and locallized to the immediate bite area. The swelling is minimal and no more throbbing pain. I will continue with the soakings, poultices, OG and internal tincture for the rest of today to make sure all of the infection is gone. No pharmaceutical antibiotics, tetanus shot or pain killers necessary!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter