Less for our money

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭

Have you noticed we are getting less for our money. Do the manufacturers think we won't notice?

An 8 pack of toilet paper for the regular price of $ 5.98! The graham crackers are more of course but the product is less with more at the end of the wrapper! They need new wrappers!!

Tagged:

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Toilet paper has become a pet peeve for me. The labels all say how much bigger the rolls are and try to make you think you're getting so much more for your money but it seems more like they are wound around the tube looser to make them seem bigger. The actual amount of product does not seem to be more.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 marketing games can be so frustrating. They try so hard to make a perceived value but can't always deliver.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inflation is there, one way or another.

Sometimes manufacturers shrink the package without raising the price.

Sometimes they offer a larger value size, which is more expensive per package but has good value per unit.

But companies don't really have a choice. They have to do something, because their input prices are rising too.

• katymockus
    katymockus Posts: 9

I've noticed that many product prices are increasing, of course, but for those that haven't, it seems that the product size is decreasing. It's crazy!

• RICHARD
    RICHARD Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Greed is not the only explanation for higher per unit prices. Higher costs affect every part of the economy. Most managers understand that increased prices resulted in reduced purchasing power and lower sales, especially for luxury goods. One method for maintaining the "price line" is to put less in the package.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

And there is of course all the items that have not only decreased in size or quantity but have also raised the prices as well. Ice cream is a good example. The half gallon now is only 1 1/2 quarts or even 1 1/4 quarts but the cost is now (here in my part of Alaska) around $9.99 and pints are $7 or $8 a pint. If I drive an hour to the larger town nearest us, sometimes I can get it for $4.00 or less a container. But unless I need to go there for another reason it is not worth the time and fuel cost to go there to shop.

• dipat2005

@vickeym that is the whole point I think. Also that is why I have been collecting recipes for things I only want once in awhile like English Muffins or a certain kind of muffin.

• VermontCathy

Those are us who remember the 1970s are thinking, "Here we go again!"

• dipat2005

@VermontCathy I mostly remember the long lines at the gas station. My kids were little then so I must have been very busy!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't noticed anything yet, but I don't doubt it. Just more games to get people to spend money.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I definitely remember the 70s. My two older kids were born in the 70s. It wasn't until the 80s that I had to run the kids everywhere for everything. So a least they weren't being bored and restless in the lines to get gas.

I do remember the lines down the street to even get into the gas station.

• VermontCathy

Not just long lines for gas, but high inflation and high interest rates. There was a time when you could get an annual raise over 10% and still be worse off than the previous year, because inflation was even higher than 10%.