A dream bird I'll never have: an Ocellated turkey

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful! I don't imagine I would ever venture to try raising then either. I'm still working out the learning curve with my chickens!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Wow! I had no idea that there was such a spectacular breed of turkey.

They look like a cross between turkeys and peacocks.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited May 2023

@Torey I know. That's what I thought.

I read the discussion on BYC. The one guy said it is $3000 US for one bird. I don't know what age. You have to feed them special food that is not readily available here, and you know, seeing one dead from a predator or having it disappear would be more devastating than anything.

I will enjoy it in pictures, I guess.

I'd like these tragopans or pheasants, but I would be super sad & more than angry if anything killed one (that's how I react 😬). At least these are more affordable, easier to feed & care for overall. Some are even appropriate for beginners @Michelle D. The one reminds me of Kevin on "UP."

I have my peas now. They are easy & inexpensive keepers. One day maybe I can add something more to admire. 😁

• Torey

Oh, my! What stunning birds! I have never heard of a tragopan and I've never seen such brightly coloured pheasants.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2023

Some of them have the most interesting and colorful mating dances. The tragopans impressed me in a video.

I can get those Penners & Feathers birds within a 4 hour drive.

I should add that I'd also want a pair of mandarin ducks. That would complete my dream. 😍

• Torey

That is quite astonishing, how long that "bib" becomes, or "lappet" as I have discovered it is called, and how neatly it tucks back up!

I think it would be worth the drive.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning I’m with Torey, never heard of a tragopan before. I sat mesmerised watching it do its thing & the bib that enlarges, kind of looks like a tribal mask. Amazing. Do you have Guinea Fowl Laurie? A long time ago, I was caretaking a farm that had 2 male peacocks & 5 Guinea fowl as part of the entourage. They hung around together, lived in a big gum tree at night & were the best animals to let you know when something wasn’t right or visitors were arriving.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@JodieDownUnder Yes, I have guinea fowl. I have 3 males & 2 females, which is absolutely the wrong ratio. I had others, which they killed and this is what Im left with. I would have to fully replace my guineas if I were to increase the numbers, because they will not allow any others at all.

I used to have Lavender & white, and do have a crossed version of royal purple & pearl as well as full pearl (the basic white on black spotted ones).

These are currently in a pen right next to the peas, who think they are beneath them. I think its the guineas looks & noise that must be dusturbing to them. Lol I have snooty birds. 😆

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful birds! The turkeys and the tragopans. Had never heard of either bird. Most places will not ship turkeys to Alaska, even the hatchery types, there are too many fatalities in shipping. Guess these will both have to remain out of my reach.