Not enough thyme

heirlooms777
heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

While pulling out thyme in my refrigerator and thinking of all the thyme I am planting in the garden, I seriously thought “I never have enough thyme”. Then I realized what I just said ;)

Comments

• heirlooms777
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I hope to have plenty of thyme this year. You'd never know it by how busy I am. 😅

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had challenges growing thyme, so you could say that I never have enough of the plant, never mind the dimensional thing. :-)

• heirlooms777

🤭

• heirlooms777
    edited June 2023

This was the complete story to my cute TCM doctor (completely out of my league):

True story just now: 

While pulling out thyme in my refrigerator and thinking of all the thyme I am planting in the garden, I seriously thought “I never have enough thyme”. Then I realized what I just said ;)

Nap over, now smoothy with a little coffee smoothie stuff, extra cocoa powder, honey, raw Sweet potato (reduces acid and is a prebiotic), thyme (snicker snicker), and then back to the garden 🪴 

…. would add a little powdered marshmallow root, like my spiritual sister suggested, but my miracle working TCM doctor said to stay with the program. And I guess, since I haven’t been listening to my gut for over a year now, it’s going to take awhile to train it again. First the tongue, then the gut :) 

Hoping to start Asian ginseng (kidney) and Oregon grape (kill a pylori, etc) soon ;)

You have to taste the food to see if your body wants it, then see how your gut feels :)

Do you know what type of willow tree this is? I put some in this water and it is going crazy.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@heirlooms777 I have no idea what type of willow it is. Would you happen to have a picture of the parent tree? That might help.

• heirlooms777

I found it in the Japanese garden …. I’ll have to go back

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

If only we could grow more time lol. Also "Time is an illusion" thyme is an herb lol.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

So true, one never seems to have enough time or thyme.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@heirlooms777 I just got diagnosed as having H pylori. I am getting a prescription from my naturopath. Kind of wish I had thought of Oregon grape before buying the prescription. I know that Oregon grape works well on gut infections.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love thyme, it is one of my favorite herbs.

When I lived in the Los Angeles suburb (sandy soil), my English thyme was big, but in the San Diego area (sandstone) my thyme has not done as well but I am going to try again this year and I have planted both English and French thyme in my vertical planters.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

@heirlooms777 While out in the garden today, I offered the neighbor a few sprigs of fresh thyme. He immediately ate them, his eyes lit up and he smiled. I love my garden!

• heirlooms777

@SuperC I love my garden, too

• heirlooms777

@marjstratton good idea about the orchard grape. What would be the recipe? I don’t have an herbalist here

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Fresh thyme added to all foods, or eating it fresh adds happiness to one’s activities through the day!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@heirlooms777 I'm assuming your spell check put in "orchard" instead of "Oregon."

Here is much, much more on Oregon Grape:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/849375/oregon-grape-includes-a-recipe/p1?new=1

• heirlooms777
    edited June 2023

@LaurieLovesLearning I love learning, too. I love your name here. Yes, that was a spellcheck bloop. I just applied for an academic tenure-track position, so I am all excited about that possibility. 

in this article, when they talk about not taking it, if you have a red-tipped tongue, do they mean the little wrinkly sides of the tongue which shows liver deficiency in TCM? Or is it something else? I used to have a liver deficiency, I think I’m doing much better now, and my tongue definitely does not have any wrinkly part anymore on the sides. I also need a book of tongues and a book of poop gosh that really sounds silly after writing it but you know what I mean to be able to know how healthy I am with those pictures.

Were you the one that was mentioning that I am researching things you haven’t heard about before? quite possible, considering my friends. could you mention some of those things to me so I could tell you what I know? I have that annoying Librarian habit of sharing things with people. Or instant message me if it’s something a little more private.

My TCM, for whatever reason will not prescribe tinctures, so he has me with someone else, who’s not taking on new clients, who was able to cure my stomach area issue thank goodness, but there’s still issues with other things. I have boxes and boxes of supplements I’m realizing now. And I want to make tinctures, vinegar, and honey’s from local products and things that I purchase as soon as possible. I have a friend who makes honey, but I wondered if I could just make it myself

There is a lavender conference this weekend, a library, information, science conference in Chicago, this weekend, and all sorts of fun things I’m supposed to be doing with music and such. And I still haven’t found a rabbitry partner. But otherwise things are going very well. How are you?

—Christina

• LaurieLovesLearning

@heirlooms777 I'm doing fine, just continuously busy with lots of things that all require my attention right now, or so it always seems.

I think the red tipped tongue only refers to a the tip of the tongue being red, not about wrinkly sides.

I don't remember if I was the person mentioning researching things I hadn't heard of before, but I'd like to encourage anyone here to share their area of knowledge with us as long as it furthers our learning in the areas of growing our own food & medicine & our goals of self-sufficiency.

Boxes & boxes of supplements sounds like something that should be gone through to weed out expired products & unnecessary ones. Sometimes products sound helpful, so a person gets them. They might not be suited to us (either they didn't appear to work for us or we didn't actually need them in the first place). Try to not be overzealous. I've found that a person really only needs very few things to get by... not everything that sounds good! It's amazing when you do the research yourself, how many herbs overlap in their purpose, and how any do multiple things to cover a multitude of issues. I'd encourage you to find great resources to do research with. Think of the respected herbalists that we discuss on the forum and their books & websites: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/educational-books-other-resources

• heirlooms777

i met up with a local herblist in the area at a lavender festival. He is a wealth of information, including Herbalist on my side of the state thank you everyone who helped me.

• heirlooms777

@nicksamanda11 It was an amazing festival based around lavender in Michigan. There were lavender plants for sale, but everything had lavender in it, lavender ice cream, lavender cheese sandwiches (that was amazing), and there were talks, one an amazing herbalist that is very well known out here and seemed to know everything who after hos talk west to his booth and explained the why things worked to everyone that passed by (I mostly hung out here). It was a lot of fun and is highly recommended. I think they were going on their 22nd year. There are some amazing festivals for other things as well. Traverse City, ΜIchigan has the Cherry festival every year. Gilroy, California has the garlic festival. Holland, Michigan has the world’s largest festival called the Tulip Festival. And so forth.