What is your favorite tree?

My favorite prairie tree is the huge & majestic cottonwood. If I lived closer to the West Coast, it might be the Douglas fir, but the cedar might come in close.

If I was overseas, I think the baobab would top them all.

To be fair to the rest, I love all sorts of trees. They all have their place and are beautiful to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite tree well - I have two. The first one I have no idea what kind of tree it is other than some sort of cider or cypress tree. During autumn it turns a burnt orange and is so beautiful!! It's in my neighbor's yard but they aren't the original owners, so they don't know what kind of tree it is.

My other favorite tree is my friend's fig tree because every year he gives me several gallon bags full of figs! 😁

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in Washington, it was the Western Red Cedar. In Idaho, it was the Ponderosa Pine. Here in Missouri, it's the Black Walnut.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Living in a forest, its hard to pick just one but if I had to it would be the Douglas Fir. It is the most common species in my immediate area. They can become giants, not like Western Redcedar or Giant Redwoods, but still pretty big. They are very majestic as a landscape species or as part of the forest make-up but soooo useful as well.

If I were in the southeastern US, I think it would be the live oak.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

While being outdoors and walking throughout the trees, my favorite is the Birch Tree. Birch flour for baking. Second favorite would be 🌲 Pine Trees. Sap for healing and adhesives.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

So hard to decide. It's like having your kids ask you who's your favorite. My mom always replied that it was the one she was with.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite tree in my backyard is an Mimosa tree which it turns out can be eaten. @judsoncarroll4 has a great post about it's uses.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I don't have a favorite. Perhaps pecan or cherry or apple... I most enjoy food plants.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

My favourite is a lime tree. Especially when it blossoms. I am just addicted to the smell. Traditionally lime trees are supposed to spread harmony, forgiveness and used to be a dating place for young ones. May be it is still…

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as food trees, I love Blood oranges and Australian Finger lime trees.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were to pick a favorite based off of appearances I would have to also say a birch tree would be my choice. If I were picking trees based on how they might benefit my family I would probably pick cherry trees. We have always loved our cherry trees.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@Michelle D Mmm. Now I want to have a bowl of fresh cherries. 😋

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning we were blessed to have some amazing cherry trees on the property when we purchased it. They are getting very old and produce much less now. We plan to add a few more trees so that we don't lose them all together.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be either the apple tree or the sugar maple tree.

Both of these trees are common here in Vermont, and both produce food. Maple syrup is produced by many small growers in the state, and apples are everywhere, many growing wild but still producing fruit.

I love seqouya, coastal redwood, and other trees that are great to see, but my vote will always go to the ones that produce food for us!