Questions about Greens

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Vegetables

It occurred to me that I will be planting greens (beet, spinach, kale and Swiss Chard) in the area where most every night there is a meth smell. Will that affect the leaves and will the leaves retain that smell?

The garden plot is on the north side where I had so much luck with the greens before. I am also planting carrots again too.

I am planning on adding chicken wire this time and staking it to the ground. I hope this helps adult feet from squashing plants.

Comments

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

If its possible, put a bird netting over it to keep out the cats and rabbits poos

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin

Wow, that sounds like a crazy neighborhood.... My take is everything affects everything to some extent, but even with Meth chemicals in the air your greens will probably be much healthier than anything else you can buy.

The amount of pollutants is shocking. Just do your best with what you have.

And remember that old saying "good fences make good neighbors"

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I hope it doesn't soak into your greens. Probably won't but I have no experience with that. I agree with @Marjory Wildcraft they'll probably still be healthier than the ones from the store.

Good luck my greens are still going strong this year. Usually, I pull them out by now due to pests.

• dipat2005

Up until a year ago we didn't have such a crazy neighborhood. Really it is our crazy apartment complex. Recently, 4 months ago these people moved in and they smoke hard core drugs every single night. It is really awful.

Last year I had carrots that came up and they got squashed by adult feet. I planted about 10 days ago and so far nothing has come up. At least it has been cooler.

I am getting ready to plant my other bed and have the wire but unfortunately, I somehow have to cut the wire myself. Good luck with that. I can barely use a knife.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really appreciate them!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have no experience with this specific situation but I feel like things are heading that direction in the area where we currently are. I'm hoping to move soon but time will tell.

@dipat2005 please keep us updated on if it seems to affect the greens.

• dipat2005

It is supposed to be 90 degrees today. I only have 2 plants that have greens on them at this time. I haven't planted the rest yet.

Both the courtyard and the side parking area is where they smoke so I will keep you updated. I know it is important to grow our own food. Besides last year I kept greens going for three families and 5 mouths.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but it is possible to grow greens in quantity indoors if that's the only way you can protect them.

• dipat2005

@Vermont Cathy I do know about the inside growing of greens, thank you.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, good luck!

• SuperC

What does one do with Swiss Chard? I mean, cook it or eat it raw in salads? I bought organic and no idea how to use it, it’s very colorful.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@SuperC Oh, so many things!

Raw in salads. Steamed or boiled like spinach. It can be substituted for spinach in lasagna or spanakopita. Add to stir frys. The larger leaves can be used instead of cabbage for cabbage rolls or now it would be called Swiss chard rolls.

• dipat2005

@Torey and @SuperC I have even added it to scrambled eggs. Swiss Chard is like any green. I have a picture for the mystery thread. The picture is not Swiss Chard though. Thanks for the information!

• SuperC

Thank you, i will be making a delicious salad for lunch today

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 are your greens doing well so far? Are you continuing go have issues as in past years?

• dipat2005

@Michelle D thank you for asking. The ones the bird planted are doing great. I have not planted the other ones yet as I am waiting for help with the bird netting and a way to attach the netting. My granddaughter graduated the other night and also the strawberries have thrown me off. I should be able to plant this coming week.