Mint as a ground cover?

A friend of mine in Northern California is thinking about using mint as a ground cover. She has some empty land around her home where there is nothing planted right now. Knowing how mint can spread and take over, my immediate reaction was: don't do it! But, thought I'd ask here if anyone has any thoughts on this or has used mint as a ground cover. Thank you, Linda

Best Answer

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mint is a delicious ground cover. It can tend to be invasive. The soil will become less prone to drying out, and the ground will be happier.

Answers

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

I've had Corsican mint before and it makes a pretty good ground cover that isn't too invasive, at least in my climate.

Chocolate mint is one that tends to be a low grower that spreads pretty easily. It does have a bit more of an upright habit than Corsican mint but it will certainly take over an area if that is what is desired.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mints might also help with keeping pests away.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin
    edited June 2023

@Lin Could she possibly pick & dry it then sell it, or is it so plentiful in the area that there wouldn't be a market?

There are always venues to sell dried herbs online too.

Keep in mind, varieties easily cross. It would smell so good to walk through.

There are lots of plants within this family. Maybe monarda would be nice? It would be great for the bees & blossoms & leaves can be dried for tea & other uses.

I would tend to do a bit of research and see what (even aside from the mint idea) might not just cover, but also bring pleasure to herself & family or bring in profit.

• Lin
    Lin Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your great input. I have been passing it on. I love the idea of walking through a field of mint. Still not sure I'd use it as ground cover, but I admit, it is becoming enticing :) ! Thank you again for the great ideas. Linda

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of an edible ground cover. Most ground covers, like grass and ivy, are not edible and don't serve much purpose in a lawn or garden.

• Lin
    Lin Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Great perspective - thank you, Cathy!

Linda

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything worthy of being called a ground cover will be invasive. 😉

• Maria V
    Maria V Posts: 1

To be honest, I've had mint overgrow in my yard before, but that was because I was not using it enough. It's delicious in teas, soups, sauces, cold drinks, etc. So a permaculture person informed me that we can use mint to chop and drop and use it as mulch! You can never have enough green mulch in the garden, so I'm going to try that out.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

I think the smell would totally be worth it. And if you get too much, hey essential oils take a LOT of plant matter...

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea! Just have to figure out a way to make them without needing specialty equipment. Then we would be on a major roll.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

Welcome @Maria V! Yes, use that mint for everything you can think of!

I love to walk in our pasture & step on the wild mint. It is a beautiful sensory experience. The only thing is that I also have to be cautious there because of its close cousin, stinging nettle! That's a sensory experience that I can live without.