Farm Bot: the AI powered robot to automatically grow food - it was only a matter of time...

OK, so you know my love of gadgets. This one has finally surfaced.

I'm not sure what to think about this. The interaction and engagement is what makes growing so fulfilling. But you knw there are so many people who will need to get growing and I guess this is a possbile good entry point for the ultra tech oriented people we (well not TGN members) have come to be.

I laughed out load at the footage of the robot honing in on a weed and killing it.

Check it out.

If I get a bit of funding I might buy one to play with.

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very expensive!! I was shocked at the price and on sale too! Wow! I bet schools will buy these. I don't know a lot of people who would spend that kind of money on a small garden.

It sounds good on the video but what about pests? They didn't address that.

Also, I've heard a lot about using copper in the garden and since trying it my vegetables are so much bigger and I've got so many less pests. I even have greens still in my garden this year which I usually have to take out due to caterpillars eating them. I'll stick with what I'm doing.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

Well, its certainly interesting.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm not surprised to see that something like this has been brought to market. It wouldn't be something I would ever be interested in having. I would much rather be out in the garden working with the plants than drag and drop on a tablet or computer. However, it would be interesting to see how well it really functions.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there will be those who are interested in such a hands off way to grow food. I don't see myself wanting one. Call me old fashioned but I believe there is a symbiotic relationship between the grower and things grown and the more time and love a grower gives to help plants grow, the more nutritious and vibrant the food becomes.

• annbeck62

@kbmbillups1 how do you use copper when gardening?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

Ah yes - pests! I bet they can program the AI to zap bugs. Add a little zapper function add-on for only another $X,XXX Lol.

• kbmbillups1

@Marjory Wildcraft If only I had the money! LOL! That zapping function would do it for me!

• kbmbillups1

@annbeck62 Have you heard of Electroculture? Apparently, it works with the earth's frequency and pulls the minerals from the atmosphere that we lack in the soil down into the soil. I might not be explaining it exactly right.

Anyway, you wrap sticks with copper wire to make an antenna and stick them into the soil near your plants. I thought it was woo woo but decided to try it when I learned governments in the past told their people not to use copper because they'd produce too much (supply and demand I guess).

I can say I have several types of greens in my garden beds as well as broccoli still which I usually grow in my winter garden and pull out mid May because of pests. I haven't had any issues with them so far. The leaves are all pretty large too. My main pests are still those darn Rolly pollies. I had to remove most of my mulch to cut the population way down.

Check out https://cultivateelevate.com/electroculture for more information.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

One concern I'd have is further discarding the learning of gardening skills. This has happened to farmers as they have become more reliant on technology. Many no longer have the skills to be able to farm without itand the "experts" that promote it.

• annbeck62

@kbmbillups1 thank you so much for the link! It's totally new to me and I've very intrigued. Especially since it's worked for you :)

• kbmbillups1

@annbeck62 You're welcome. Let me know how it works for you if you decide to try it.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 wow! I thank you for sharing that also. It sounds so interesting.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the demand for this type of automation will probably come from large agribusiness farms, not small backyard or small-scale farm plots.

When it replaces expensive labor you have to hire, the cost looks more reasonable.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be that AI has begun to replace human jobs, farmers, and more