Rosalee’s herbal first aid kit

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,482 admin

I recently watched this video with interest. I am always thinking about what to take with me when I travel. Lots of things to consider, how long, where, how you’re getting there, how much room, etc. This made lots of sense.

What else would you pack & why?

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing that I always take with me when my family travels is activated charcoal. My husband has a tendency to get a sour stomach and for some reason ginger never helps much. The activated charcoal really makes a difference for him.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to chew on candied ginger slices. They can be too potent for some, and occasionally I get a slice that is too hot for me. The fibers are tough and harder to chew up, but the flavor and goodness of the ginger is worth it.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,505 admin

My travelling first aid kit is a bit bigger than most but has similar ingredients.

Digestion. Bitters and digestive enzymes are my go-to's. I have ginger capsules but ginger candy is a great idea. I might switch my capsules out for candies. I also carry charcoal capsules but also powdered charcoal for any topical infections that might need drawing.

Sleep & nervines. Valerian, California poppy, motherwort, skullcap.

Sore throat/respiratory. I don't carry a spray but do have the ingredients to make a spray along with an empty spray bottle. Tinctures of Oregon grape root, elderberry, echinacea and propolis.

Anti-infectives. Similar tinctures to above. Oregon grape root, echinacea and propolis. Also a jar of some kind of resin salve; cottonwood bud or conifer pitch.

Pain relief. Pyconegenal (brand name of pine bark extract) which works really well for joint pain and a combination homeopathic remedy I got from my naturopath called Inflamm-a-tox. It works really well on sore muscles or strains & sprains. And of course, my homemade cottonwood bud & cayenne salve.

I hadn't thought about adding chamomile but after reading the article, it will be added to my bag, in the form of tea bags. Great for anxiety, sleep, digestion, infections. Truly one of the polycrest herbs.

I also have homeopathic kits in my bag. Hawthorn and turmeric are two others that are added for my husband as he takes both regularly.

Because I am a First Responder, I have a separate bag that I carry with bandages, gauze, wraps, triangulars, tape, scissors, tweezers, etc., but not everyone will need that. A small first aid kit would suffice.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I also take liposomal vitamin c in my travel first aid kit. Always.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,505 admin

Something else to consider when making up a travel kit. Where are you going and what activities are you participating in? This could result in some additions or changes to your kit.

Are you going to be in an area that might have a reputation for stomach-related issues? Poor refrigeration, questionable water, etc.

Or maybe an area that has a large number of venomous insects or reptiles?

Will you need something for sunburns? Or are you travelling to a northern climate where you might need something for frostbite?

Are you going to be participating in extreme sports (marathons, heli-skiing, mountain climbing, etc.) where you might need extra liniments or tension bandages?

Do you have children with you? Or anyone with a specific health condition?

So many things to consider for individualized kits.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

@Torey thanks for thinking about which kinds of questions to ask oneself when traveling or beforehand. And secondly, thanks fir the descriptive lists.

safe travels to everyone