Happily lost in the fast information on the grow network course

Silvia Finnie
Silvia Finnie Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am a mum of 2 young children and I have joined the courses at the grow network for a few months now and most of the day I will spend at least a few hours doing the course and reading / watching the supplement information section. I started with the grow system course. I am new to all of this, so everything is so exciting for me.

My only thought is that based on my current rate of studying (material + reading / watching all the references and taking lots of notes and downloading), by the time I have used up my 1 year membership, I wouldn't finished even half of the courses lol... eg.. in chapter 8 of grow system course, it has maybe 6 videos which is about 1hr long each and lots of reading materials. This will take me maybe 1 week to complete chapter 8 hahaha.. I know I am slow but I do what I can with the time that I have continuously day after day.

How do you all do your learning? any tips to speed up the retention of info? lol..

Silvia

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Glad you are enjoying the learning process!

I find that using the info is the best way to retain it.

If you are learning about gardening techniques, then go try them out. Experiment. See for yourself what will work with your soil in your climate zone.

If you are learning about plants, a nursery, garden center or botanical garden are great places to touch, smell and even taste, to get to know all of the different species.

If you want to learn how to use your garden produce, then jump right in and start processing; canning, freezing, drying, fermenting, pickling, jamming, etc.

And failures. Sometimes failure is the way we learn best. Not enough or too much water, not enough or too much fertilizer, putting plants out too early, didn't think to cover them, wrong location (too shady or too bright), etc. I've certainly had my share over the years and that just makes me a better gardener for the next year.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't try to learn everything at once. Pick the topics that look most relevant to you, and spend enough time on them to really learn them.

Don't expect to learn everything available in one year. Even if you succeeded, more content would have been added by the end of the year. :-)

• Silvia Finnie
    Silvia Finnie Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys @Torey @VermontCathy , those are practical solutions. I think I might try it with planting what I can in my little area and also try to make some jam and dried food :). I will just continue on this learning journey. Thanks for shining a light in my path. Sometimes I guess I just get bog down and need to hear other's perspective

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

I don't know that I have welcomed you, @Silvia Finnie! Welcome to the forum.

Great advice above, but I'd like to add that you can ask questions here on the forum or search for information that you might feel you need using the search feature.

Even if you post just to chat, we are all over that too. 😆 We'd love to get to know you better.

I'd also like to add that, depending on the ages of your children, that you get them involved with learning as you go about your day. Our kids have learned a lot as we garden outside, take care of plants indoors, forage in & out of our yard, do chores (cows, chickens, ducks, etc.). I see them sometimes now as they are older, taking initiative going to find & pick things to eat or use medicinally. It's awesome.

If your kids are small, start at their level of ability and have fun while building their world of knowledge.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Silvia Finnie hey, we are glad that you are here! All great advice so far. I just have one thing to add from my own experience. A lot of times things that we learn stick in our heads better and are recalled more easily down the road if we share the new information with some else. You could do this by teaching your kids like @LaurieLovesLearning suggestioned or simply by having a conversation with a friend about all the fun stuff you have learned. This forum is a great place to talk about it all too!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

Hi @Silvia Finnie welcome to The Grow Network!

I am so happy you are diving in.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to do one of the courses and I am very far behind. I am enjoying it though.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Silvia Finnie welcome!

my favourite way of learning is learning by doing. So I second what many have already written. And one thing at a time. That works for me best.