Large Black Pigs

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

Whoop, whoop! We are getting a purebred papered large black boar for our LB×hampshire cross sows. He's just a little guy yet @ 60 lbs or so.

We wanted all our pigs to be purebred LB, but this will do for now. Piglets will be 3/4 LB. :)

We've never bred pigs before, so we have a learning experience ahead of us, to be sure.

Pictures to follow once we get him home!

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I'm so excited for you! I hope to someday have the opportunity to breed pigs also. I look forward to updates about your journey.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Congratulations on your new boar! This will be an exciting experience for all.

We've raised pigs before but bought them as weaners; never had a sow or a boar.

• LaurieLovesLearning

We go tomorrow morning.

I asked in a more recent conversation if they might happen to have an unrelated gilt (female). They said that they probably do. They'd go check their records to see who came from a large litter (part of selecting for registry & breeding). So, we may come home with a registered breeding pair!

I think we'd keep one of our three cross sows, and eat the other two in that case. 😋

...And to top it off, they are buying a few of my jersey giant chicks. 😀

It sounds like we will have a lot of fun heritage things to chat about.

More tomorrow!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing! Good for you to have found a good large Black Boar!

• LaurieLovesLearning

They didn't have an extra gilt, but we let them know to contact us when they have one.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning pictures please!

• LaurieLovesLearning

He has been introduced. His snout is shaped differently, he has larger looser jowls, he is longer and of course, his ears are nice & big.

We've chosen our keeper gilt from our three. She is better natured and has a bit better body shape, etc. Than the others.

His name is not set in stone yet, but might possibly be Boaris.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Boar! Congratulations.