Kitchen gadgets

SuperC
SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Garden Design

What kitchen or household gadgets have you up-cycled to improve your garden?

I had unmatched flatware in the silverware drawer. One day, I decided to use a metal bit to drill holes in the handles. I had at 1st thought about making wind-chimes. But then, I decided to use twine to knot in between each handle, about four to six per each hanging. Then I hung them from a wire above the garden to deter bears and deer.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have repurposed attractive dishes for houseplant drip trays.

Old knives can prune plants, are particularly good for segmenting cactus plants. Old tongs are good for cactus handling. Spoons damaged by the garbage disposal make small soil shovels.

Old cooking spoons and measuring cups can be used together to blend garden liquids.

Plastics I don't trust for food storage work well for storing seed packets or gardening supplies.

Old food jars, especially those with attractive shapes, are used to root plant cuttings.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used old knives out in the garden to break up dirt, same with forks, I have used spoons when planting seeds and I even used the metal slats from blinds I had to take down (the pull mechanism broke) and cut them up then used them as name markers in the garden.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

I have used knives and spoons in my garden. Knives to cut twine and spoons to dig holes. I like the chime idea.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I had unmatched flatware in the silverware drawer."

Wait, you mean kitchen flatware is supposed to match? :-)

I have stuff from so many miscellaneous sources, my plates, silverware, mugs, and so forth don't really match.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was young, I thought a proper household was made of matching silverware, towels, etc. Nowadays I could care less -- items need to be clean and in good shape, but too much matching is boring to me now.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl I don't even care if they are in "good shape." A minor chip on a bowl won't be enough to throw it out.

"Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermontCathy I'm the same way. Not much of my stuff matches. I use it until it just can't be used anymore. Almost all of my dishes and utensils are hand-me-downs or thrift store finds.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

For years I've thought someone would come in our house just to steal our spoons and folks. My kids would always say- it's not me! So, ours is not matching either because I've added to it with a restaurant size package of both from Sam's. LOL!

That being said I do use forks in the garden to get my seedings out of the trays. I use knives too but the best thing I've found recently isn't a utensil, but it is in the kitchen - a small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbls. dish soap (Dr. Bonners), and 2 cups water pulverized in a blender, steeped overnight, and filtered in the morning. It makes the best deterrent for most everything. I've even found a couple hornworms because they rose up when the spray hit them. Plus, it smells like dinner, so I call it dinner spray.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

I save bedsheets for row covers to extend growing season. That's a bedroom upcycle I suppose. But still 😎

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Our old bedsheets are used from the transition from fall into winter so when there is super cold weather yet warm temps are expected, we cover up the plants and then uncover them. Also, from winter into spring. When the days will be kind of warm yet cold nights. Especially when we’ve planted some plants and the nights are cold, that we can uncover them the next day or so so the plants don't freeze.

@kbmbillups1 “isn't a utensil, but it is in the kitchen - a small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbls. dish soap (Dr. Bonners), and 2 cups water pulverized in a blender, steeped overnight, and filtered in the morning. It makes the best deterrent for most everything” I will be mixing this solution. I bet it may deter those pesky Asian Beetles.... Thank you.

Perhaps after the last garden harvest, I’ll repurpose the flatware into windchimes for personal enjoyment lol.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it will! I've sprayed it on everything!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great idea for a spray! Wonder if cayenne would work good in there too?

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nicksamanda11 I have seen recipes using cayenne, so I would think it would work.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

I called one of the local garden centers here when the weather got up to 113 degrees C and asked if I could cover the small seedlings and they said, "yes". They also said I should only water them once a day not twice. I found the watering part interesting.

This Week's Leaders