Electric Pressure Canner- Total Game Changer!

I bought a pressure canner three years ago and finally pulled it out a few months ago only to discover that I can use it on my glass stovetop. Disappointing, but I found out shortly after that electric pressure canners exist! It only cans 4 quarts (wide mouth) or six pints at a time, and I can only use it to water bath can pints, but it has been the BEST purchase!

It is actually just the right size for canning as produce comes in from the garden, and once it has reached pressure I can walk away or even just go to bed and wake up to the canned jars being done.

I hate purchasing more appliances, but canning usually means standing for hours in my kitchen and as hard as we all work to grow and preserve our own food, a little convenience is worth it!

Does anyone else here have one they love? Good or bad experiences? Maybe I’m just the last one on earth to find this out, but WOW!

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered about the electric pressure canners. I am fond of the idea of set it and forget it. I have the All American pressure canner right now. My biggest reasons that I am hesitant to try switching is that I don't have space for another kitchen appliance and I usually can in large batches.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Presto, Instant Pot, and Nesco/Carey all make electrical, computer-controlled pressure canners. The Presto Precise 2144, the Instant Pot Max, and the Nesco NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner or Carey DPC-9SS. (The last two are identical except for marketing.)

I've been very happy with the Instant Pot Max. (If you want to do pressure canning with an Instant Pot, not just pressure cooking, be sure to get the Max. The other models do not have high enough pressure.)

However, I am not thrilled with the taste of pressure canned beans. I don't particularly love the store bought cans either, so I don't think the Max is the problem. I just don't care for the off-flavor I get from pressure canned beans. I much prefer dilly beans, made with the water bath/acid method.

The Max is pretty small and can only can a few pints at a time, but that works well for me because I only can limited amounts. There are only two of us in the house, and much of our food is preserved by freezing instead of canning.

I successfully canned chicken in the Max as well, but one jar didn't seal properly and I didn't notice it immediately. I had to discard the contents. If I had noticed it didn't seal, I could have either run it through the canner again or put it in the fridge and used it immediately. Check your seals!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have watched several videos about the store top ones and have been thinking about buying one. I need to check into the electric ones because only canning a small amount at a time is what I really need.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I bought the Carey mentioned above. @VermontCathy clearly is the expert here! The price was very reasonable, $90 on Amazon, I think. I will also use it for canning small amounts of pint jars. I haven’t tried it for that yet, but maybe this weekend. When I am ready to can boxes of peaches I’ll haul out my water bath canner, but except for twice a year I think I can use my Carey.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

That's really cool!

• Karon
    Karon Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

I don't can but am interested in trying it. Up until my search just now, I'd always heard none of the electric met USDA requirements for pressure canning...which looks to be temperature rather than pressure...I didn't research further to know if it's temp in addition to pressure or instead of.

the below info is from NDSU.edu.

" Presto has developed an electric canner – the Presto Precise® Digital Pressure Canner. While traditional pressure canners sense and respond to pressure, the Presto Digital canner senses and responds to temperature.

Food manufacturers who can tomatoes, green beans, corn, and meats found in grocery stores are required to use equipment that monitors and records temperature during the canning process. The same technology is used in the Presto Precise® appliance.

When used at higher elevations, the Presto Precise® Digital Pressure Canner will automatically adjust to maintain process temperature.

Always follow canner instructions if using the Presto Precise® Digital Pressure Canner. As with traditional dial gauge and weighted canners, the Presto electric pressure canner should be used with tested recipes available from sources such as the National Center for Home Food Preservation or your state Extension program.

Multicookers and other types of pressure cookers are not recommended for home canning. See Burning Issue: Canning in Electric Multi-Cookers from the National Center for Home Preservation. "

Another website I found this topic was creative canning.com

• VermontCathy

@Karon There is a lot of confusion and misinformation around this topic.

It's not true that none of the electric canners meet USDA requirements for safe pressure canning. However, it is true that "electric pressure canners are not recommended" by USDA, mainly because the USDA extensions have not tested these models under the specified design conditions. (The USDA does not do any testing themselves, and does not approve or disapprove any type of canner.)

You should be able to safely pressure can in the Presto Precise 2144 Digital Canner, the Instant Pot Max, the Nesco NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner, or the Carey DPC-9SS. All of these are designed to meet the pressure and temperature requirements of safe pressure canning.

Do NOT use a basic electric pressure cooker for pressure canning. This is not safe. For example, do not use an Instant Pot model other than the Max.

This is the best information I have found on the subject. The presenter did the testing herself using proper sensors. See videos below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62NdXOKROg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLbe9oGde4&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgIkkwYO7o&t=1s

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,513 admin
    edited August 2023

I looked up how to use both the Presto Precise® Digital Pressure Canner (12 qt.), which is $540 on Amazon.ca, & the Carey DPC-9SS (9 qt.), which is $210.

The Carey looked much more simple to use and for the most part had good reviews, although the Presto could do more jars & it's easy to find a how to video online that explains every step clearly.

The Presto does not have warranty coverage in Canada. I don't know about the Carey.

I liked hearing that the Presto won't heat up the house & the Carey will not increase the humidity in the house... both issues of concern here. I only wish that I could find a side by side independent comparison of the two.

• Cindy
    Cindy Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I had the same thoughts about an instant pot, but have read to many places that they are not safe for canning for many reasons. I have no links or facts to give you off hand but decided food safety was more important than an easy option for me. So I have not tried nor will try, but the best of luck to those of you who do or want to.

• VermontCathy
    edited October 2023

The Instant Pot Max is designed for canning, and should be safe. I use mine for canning and have no concerns.

Instant Pots other than the Max are NOT safe for canning.

I suspect most of the stuff you have read about Instant Pots and canning does not refer to the Max.

(The difference is that the Max can produce 15 psi of pressure, while other Instant Pots do not.)

But be all means don't use an approach to canning that makes you uncomfortable.

• VermontCathy

@LaurieLovesLearning You might look into the Nesco and see if it has a valid Canadian warranty. It's identical to the Carey, but marketed and sold differently.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2023

Welcome to the forum Cindy! Food safety is certainly a concern when canning and I think that's why it is such a huge topic each fall.

Please leave an introduction here so we can get to know you better:

@VermontCathy Thank you for the suggestion.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend that has never done pressure canning before. She has a pressure cooker and is assuming that she can use it for canning. Does anyone know how we could find out if it is safe for canning or not? I would like to help her figure out her options.

Short term we have made arrangements that she will come over and learn using mine and I will help her with the batches that she needs to do now because I don't want her taking any risks.

• VermontCathy

@Michelle D From what little I've read on the subject, no, using pressure cookers for canning low-acid foods is not safe. I am not an expert, though, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

Hi @Cindy. Welcome from me as well.

@Michelle D My two-bits on the pressure cooker. If its designed for cooking food (roasts, stews, etc.), it likely won't be rated for pressure canning. I don't think you can get one up to the 15 lbs. pressure required for most things. If it has a proper pressure gauge on it, instead of a rocker valve, it might be able to be used depending on whether or not it is big enough to adequately accommodate the jar sizes (allowing room for a rack of some sort on the bottom of the pot to keep the jars off the very bottom).

Personally, for pressure canning, I would only use equipment that is specifically designed as a pressure canner.

• VermontCathy

A real pressure canner, such as a Presto, can be bought for as little as $150 and should last a lifetime. Or spend a little more and get an All-American pressure canner with no seals to replace, and your grandchildren will still be using it.

It's a small investment that will save money over the long run, and be safe.

I'm sure either of these will outlast my Instant Pot Max, with all the fancy electronics that can fail, but I can't use a regular pressure canner safely on my glass-topped stove.

• VermontCathy
    edited October 2023

@LaurieLovesLearning " I only wish that I could find a side by side independent comparison of the two [Presto Precise Digital Canner and Nesco/Carey pressure canners]."

Based on my reading about their capabilities and the tests of them that I have seen online, you can't go too wrong with either.

I would make the decision based on size and amount you usually can. If you need to can a lot quickly, the Presto is going to be faster. If you only do small amounts each canning day, the Nesco/Carey is cheaper.

• VermontCathy
    edited October 2023

@VermontCathy "A real pressure canner, such as a Presto, can be bought for as little as $150 and should last a lifetime... It's a small investment that will save money over the long run, and be safe."

To avoid confusion, let me add that my meaning above was "don't use pressure cookers to can; only pressure can in devices designed for pressure canning " I was not denigrating the electric pressure canners.

You can use a traditional stovetop canner like a basic Presto or premium All-American, or get an electronic pressure canner such as the Presto Precise Digital Canner, Instant Pot Max, or Carey/Nesco.

Just don't use pressure cookers that aren't designed for canning.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella You are not the last person on earth to know! Thanks for posting.

I enjoyed reading all of the comments and may go with the Carey!

• LaurieLovesLearning

For those who may be wanting a regular stove top pressure canner, they are on sale right now at Lehman's. I think both sizes are, actually.

This Week's Leaders